Oct 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Garbutt, 28, wasn’t originally penalized on the hit, one that temporarily knocked Penner out and forced him to leave the game. The veteran Ducks winger didn’t travel with the team on its current eight-game road swing, staying in Orange County for further evaluation and concussion testing.
“Garbutt, having traveled a distance, launches himself up and into Penner,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Having just left the penalty box, Garbutt enters his own team’s zone to take up his defensive position. As he sees Penner beat his man off the wall and cut to the middle, Garbutt, who is gliding, shuffles his skates to pick up speed.
“He then clearly leaps into his check, causing his own head to crash into Penner’s head.”
Here’s the video:
Garbutt will forfeit $14,743.60 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Relief Fund, and miss Dallas’ upcoming games against Calgary, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Montreal and Colorado.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11