Oct 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Garbutt, 28, wasn’t originally penalized on the hit, one that temporarily knocked Penner out and forced him to leave the game. The veteran Ducks winger didn’t travel with the team on its current eight-game road swing, staying in Orange County for further evaluation and concussion testing.
“Garbutt, having traveled a distance, launches himself up and into Penner,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Having just left the penalty box, Garbutt enters his own team’s zone to take up his defensive position. As he sees Penner beat his man off the wall and cut to the middle, Garbutt, who is gliding, shuffles his skates to pick up speed.
“He then clearly leaps into his check, causing his own head to crash into Penner’s head.”
Here’s the video:
Garbutt will forfeit $14,743.60 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Relief Fund, and miss Dallas’ upcoming games against Calgary, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Montreal and Colorado.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)