Oct 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Garbutt, 28, wasn’t originally penalized on the hit, one that temporarily knocked Penner out and forced him to leave the game. The veteran Ducks winger didn’t travel with the team on its current eight-game road swing, staying in Orange County for further evaluation and concussion testing.
“Garbutt, having traveled a distance, launches himself up and into Penner,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Having just left the penalty box, Garbutt enters his own team’s zone to take up his defensive position. As he sees Penner beat his man off the wall and cut to the middle, Garbutt, who is gliding, shuffles his skates to pick up speed.
“He then clearly leaps into his check, causing his own head to crash into Penner’s head.”
Here’s the video:
Garbutt will forfeit $14,743.60 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Relief Fund, and miss Dallas’ upcoming games against Calgary, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Montreal and Colorado.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54