Oct 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Garbutt, 28, wasn’t originally penalized on the hit, one that temporarily knocked Penner out and forced him to leave the game. The veteran Ducks winger didn’t travel with the team on its current eight-game road swing, staying in Orange County for further evaluation and concussion testing.
“Garbutt, having traveled a distance, launches himself up and into Penner,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Having just left the penalty box, Garbutt enters his own team’s zone to take up his defensive position. As he sees Penner beat his man off the wall and cut to the middle, Garbutt, who is gliding, shuffles his skates to pick up speed.
“He then clearly leaps into his check, causing his own head to crash into Penner’s head.”
Here’s the video:
Garbutt will forfeit $14,743.60 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Relief Fund, and miss Dallas’ upcoming games against Calgary, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Montreal and Colorado.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)