Oct 23, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
The ballyhooed reunion game between the Senators and Daniel Alfredsson started as a pretty one-sided affair.
Ottawa came out guns blazing at Joe Louis on Wednesday night, chasing Jimmy Howard from the Detroit goal by scoring three goals on its first eight shots. Defenseman Eric Gryba opened things at 5:46 with his first of the year, followed by a Jason Spezza power play tally five minutes later.
(The move seemed to briefly spark the Wings, as Todd Bertuzzi scored his third of the year at the 16:16 mark.)
As for Alfredsson, his first period was a quiet one. Detroit head coach Mike Babcock gave him the start but, at the time of writing, Alfie had played just 4:01 in the frame… though he did dish out a pair of hits.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)