Oct 23, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
The ballyhooed reunion game between the Senators and Daniel Alfredsson started as a pretty one-sided affair.
Ottawa came out guns blazing at Joe Louis on Wednesday night, chasing Jimmy Howard from the Detroit goal by scoring three goals on its first eight shots. Defenseman Eric Gryba opened things at 5:46 with his first of the year, followed by a Jason Spezza power play tally five minutes later.
(The move seemed to briefly spark the Wings, as Todd Bertuzzi scored his third of the year at the 16:16 mark.)
As for Alfredsson, his first period was a quiet one. Detroit head coach Mike Babcock gave him the start but, at the time of writing, Alfie had played just 4:01 in the frame… though he did dish out a pair of hits.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)