Oct 23, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
Schneider will make his third straight start tomorrow at home versus his old team, the Canucks — a decision New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said was difficult to make, what with the other guy being the “greatest goalie of all time” and whatnot.
“It’s never easy. We’ve got two very good goalies at different points in their career. One is the greatest goalie of all time and the other guy is a legitimate starter in this league. That situation is never easy,” DeBoer said, per The Star-Ledger.
“I think both guys have handled it very professionally so far. It hasn’t been an issue. (Schneider) has had experience with that in Vancouver (alongside Luongo). I think that’s helped him. On the flip side, Marty has been outstanding in his handling of it so far. You always worry about the mental state of guys that aren’t playing. The good news is we’ve got two top-flight professionals who are better people even than they are players. That helps.”
The Devils have only won once in their first nine games, so DeBoer can’t afford to worry about anything but turning things around. Schneider’s save percentage is .917; Brodeur’s is .865. Put like that, the decision isn’t a particularly tough one.
“I think [Schneider's] in the net now to stay,” said Brodeur. “I don’t think that’s going to change. I’ll be ready if it does.”
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)