Oct 23, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Schneider will make his third straight start tomorrow at home versus his old team, the Canucks — a decision New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said was difficult to make, what with the other guy being the “greatest goalie of all time” and whatnot.
“It’s never easy. We’ve got two very good goalies at different points in their career. One is the greatest goalie of all time and the other guy is a legitimate starter in this league. That situation is never easy,” DeBoer said, per The Star-Ledger.
“I think both guys have handled it very professionally so far. It hasn’t been an issue. (Schneider) has had experience with that in Vancouver (alongside Luongo). I think that’s helped him. On the flip side, Marty has been outstanding in his handling of it so far. You always worry about the mental state of guys that aren’t playing. The good news is we’ve got two top-flight professionals who are better people even than they are players. That helps.”
The Devils have only won once in their first nine games, so DeBoer can’t afford to worry about anything but turning things around. Schneider’s save percentage is .917; Brodeur’s is .865. Put like that, the decision isn’t a particularly tough one.
“I think [Schneider’s] in the net now to stay,” said Brodeur. “I don’t think that’s going to change. I’ll be ready if it does.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 54
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)