Oct 23, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
The Florida Panthers put goalie Tim Thomas on injured reserve Wednesday, one day after he left a 3-2 shootout loss to Chicago with under three minutes left in regulation.
According to Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen, Thomas (groin) will not play in either of this weekend’s games against Buffalo (Friday) or Tampa Bay (Sunday).
Thomas, 39, has already missed time this year with a groin injury, but returned on Oct. 17 to face his former team, the Boston Bruins, in a 3-2 loss.
On the year, Thomas has posted a 3.11 GAA with a .905 save percentage, but those numbers are skewed thanks to a two-game stretch in which he allowed five goals on 28 shots in a blowout loss to St. Louis, then followed it by allowing two goals on five shots against Philly before getting yanked due to the aforementioned groin injury.
Over his last three games, Thomas has actually played quite well — he stopped 37 of 40 in the loss to Boston, 30 of 31 in a shootout win over Minnesota and 25 of 27 last night against Chicago.
After Sunday’s game against the Bolts, Florida doesn’t play again until Friday, Nov. 1 against St. Louis. So there’s a chance Thomas will be activated in time for rematch against the Blues.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)