Oct 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Less than a week after scoring his first NHL goal, Josh Leivo is headed back to the minors.
On Wednesday, the Leafs announced they’d sent Leivo back to the AHL Marlies, presumably in a move to free up a roster spot for David Clarkson, who returns from his 10-game suspension on Friday.
Leivo, 20, played his way into the Toronto mix after a solid preseason and six quality regular-season contests with the club. He played a career-high 13:45 against Minnesota on Oct. 15, then scored his aforementioned first career goal against Carolina the next game out.
In Tuesday night’s big win — a 4-2 victory over the red-hot Ducks — Leivo assisted on Dion Phaneuf‘s second period goal, but finished with just 6:45 of ice time.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 22
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 11
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)