Oct 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Less than a week after scoring his first NHL goal, Josh Leivo is headed back to the minors.
On Wednesday, the Leafs announced they’d sent Leivo back to the AHL Marlies, presumably in a move to free up a roster spot for David Clarkson, who returns from his 10-game suspension on Friday.
Leivo, 20, played his way into the Toronto mix after a solid preseason and six quality regular-season contests with the club. He played a career-high 13:45 against Minnesota on Oct. 15, then scored his aforementioned first career goal against Carolina the next game out.
In Tuesday night’s big win — a 4-2 victory over the red-hot Ducks — Leivo assisted on Dion Phaneuf‘s second period goal, but finished with just 6:45 of ice time.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)