Oct 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Less than a week after scoring his first NHL goal, Josh Leivo is headed back to the minors.
On Wednesday, the Leafs announced they’d sent Leivo back to the AHL Marlies, presumably in a move to free up a roster spot for David Clarkson, who returns from his 10-game suspension on Friday.
Leivo, 20, played his way into the Toronto mix after a solid preseason and six quality regular-season contests with the club. He played a career-high 13:45 against Minnesota on Oct. 15, then scored his aforementioned first career goal against Carolina the next game out.
In Tuesday night’s big win — a 4-2 victory over the red-hot Ducks — Leivo assisted on Dion Phaneuf‘s second period goal, but finished with just 6:45 of ice time.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 21
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)