Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter is on fire.
The Kings head coach, who’s already dropped a couple of press scrum gems (see here and here) this year, had a couple more on Wednesday after casually mentioning he was going to try defenseman Alec Martinez at left wing.
Why Martinez, Darryl?
When Sutter was asked why try Martinez on LW, he replied, “someone has to play left wing.” #LAKings
— Frozen Royalty (@frozenroyalty) October 23, 2013
How long have you thought about doing this, Darryl?
Sutter, on how long he had considered using Martinez at LW: “Every time he’s backchecking when he should have been skating backwards.”
— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) October 23, 2013
Sutter’s right to carve the situation, though, because the Kings aren’t getting anything out of their left wingers this year. The natural lefties — Dan Carcillo and Kyle Clifford — are both bottom-six guys and, as for players with offensive upside for a top-six role, Matt Frattin has played “much better” at right wing and will reportedly stay there while youngster Tyler Toffoli doesn’t appear up to the challenge just yet.
“I think that we were probably way out of line to think that we were going to play Frattin on left wing or Toffoli on left wing,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “It’s really difficult. You could learn it, I think, at the American League level, but it’s tough to learn it at the NHL level.”
As such, it’s possible the Kings could look to acquire a natural left winger via trade.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)