Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter is on fire.
The Kings head coach, who’s already dropped a couple of press scrum gems (see here and here) this year, had a couple more on Wednesday after casually mentioning he was going to try defenseman Alec Martinez at left wing.
Why Martinez, Darryl?
When Sutter was asked why try Martinez on LW, he replied, “someone has to play left wing.” #LAKings
— Frozen Royalty (@frozenroyalty) October 23, 2013
How long have you thought about doing this, Darryl?
Sutter, on how long he had considered using Martinez at LW: “Every time he’s backchecking when he should have been skating backwards.”
— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) October 23, 2013
Sutter’s right to carve the situation, though, because the Kings aren’t getting anything out of their left wingers this year. The natural lefties — Dan Carcillo and Kyle Clifford — are both bottom-six guys and, as for players with offensive upside for a top-six role, Matt Frattin has played “much better” at right wing and will reportedly stay there while youngster Tyler Toffoli doesn’t appear up to the challenge just yet.
“I think that we were probably way out of line to think that we were going to play Frattin on left wing or Toffoli on left wing,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “It’s really difficult. You could learn it, I think, at the American League level, but it’s tough to learn it at the NHL level.”
As such, it’s possible the Kings could look to acquire a natural left winger via trade.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 20
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 47
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39