Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter is on fire.
The Kings head coach, who’s already dropped a couple of press scrum gems (see here and here) this year, had a couple more on Wednesday after casually mentioning he was going to try defenseman Alec Martinez at left wing.
Why Martinez, Darryl?
When Sutter was asked why try Martinez on LW, he replied, “someone has to play left wing.” #LAKings
— Frozen Royalty (@frozenroyalty) October 23, 2013
How long have you thought about doing this, Darryl?
Sutter, on how long he had considered using Martinez at LW: “Every time he’s backchecking when he should have been skating backwards.”
— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) October 23, 2013
Sutter’s right to carve the situation, though, because the Kings aren’t getting anything out of their left wingers this year. The natural lefties — Dan Carcillo and Kyle Clifford — are both bottom-six guys and, as for players with offensive upside for a top-six role, Matt Frattin has played “much better” at right wing and will reportedly stay there while youngster Tyler Toffoli doesn’t appear up to the challenge just yet.
“I think that we were probably way out of line to think that we were going to play Frattin on left wing or Toffoli on left wing,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “It’s really difficult. You could learn it, I think, at the American League level, but it’s tough to learn it at the NHL level.”
As such, it’s possible the Kings could look to acquire a natural left winger via trade.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 49
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)