Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter is on fire.
The Kings head coach, who’s already dropped a couple of press scrum gems (see here and here) this year, had a couple more on Wednesday after casually mentioning he was going to try defenseman Alec Martinez at left wing.
Why Martinez, Darryl?
When Sutter was asked why try Martinez on LW, he replied, “someone has to play left wing.” #LAKings
— Frozen Royalty (@frozenroyalty) October 23, 2013
How long have you thought about doing this, Darryl?
Sutter, on how long he had considered using Martinez at LW: “Every time he’s backchecking when he should have been skating backwards.”
— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) October 23, 2013
Sutter’s right to carve the situation, though, because the Kings aren’t getting anything out of their left wingers this year. The natural lefties — Dan Carcillo and Kyle Clifford — are both bottom-six guys and, as for players with offensive upside for a top-six role, Matt Frattin has played “much better” at right wing and will reportedly stay there while youngster Tyler Toffoli doesn’t appear up to the challenge just yet.
“I think that we were probably way out of line to think that we were going to play Frattin on left wing or Toffoli on left wing,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “It’s really difficult. You could learn it, I think, at the American League level, but it’s tough to learn it at the NHL level.”
As such, it’s possible the Kings could look to acquire a natural left winger via trade.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)