Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter is on fire.
The Kings head coach, who’s already dropped a couple of press scrum gems (see here and here) this year, had a couple more on Wednesday after casually mentioning he was going to try defenseman Alec Martinez at left wing.
Why Martinez, Darryl?
When Sutter was asked why try Martinez on LW, he replied, “someone has to play left wing.” #LAKings
— Frozen Royalty (@frozenroyalty) October 23, 2013
How long have you thought about doing this, Darryl?
Sutter, on how long he had considered using Martinez at LW: “Every time he’s backchecking when he should have been skating backwards.”
— Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider) October 23, 2013
Sutter’s right to carve the situation, though, because the Kings aren’t getting anything out of their left wingers this year. The natural lefties — Dan Carcillo and Kyle Clifford — are both bottom-six guys and, as for players with offensive upside for a top-six role, Matt Frattin has played “much better” at right wing and will reportedly stay there while youngster Tyler Toffoli doesn’t appear up to the challenge just yet.
“I think that we were probably way out of line to think that we were going to play Frattin on left wing or Toffoli on left wing,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “It’s really difficult. You could learn it, I think, at the American League level, but it’s tough to learn it at the NHL level.”
As such, it’s possible the Kings could look to acquire a natural left winger via trade.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)