Oct 23, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have won just one of their first eight games, they’ve already got their coach fired, and haven’t scored more than two goals in a game this season. But that’s not enough to make captain Claude Giroux lose his confidence in this team.
“We never thought about not making the playoffs,” Giroux said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. “We’ve got to go game by game and we will make the playoffs.”
With the Flyers already eight points out of a postseason spot, they can’t afford to dig too much deeper of a hole for themselves. Given that their offense has been a key problem, it’s not surprising that Flyers bench boss Craig Berube has decided to get creative.
Vinny Lecavalier missed three straight games with a lower-body injury, but he’s resumed practicing with Philadelphia and seems to be on course to play Thursday. When he comes back, it looks like Lecavalier will move from center to the right wing so that he can join Giroux on the Flyers’ first line. Michael Raffl, 24, has also been bumped up so that he can play with the two stars.
Raffl was a dominant player in Sweden, but he only has three games worth of NHL experience.
“(Raffl is) skilled, he’s big (6-foot) and he moves,” Berube told CSN Philly. “He looked comfortable out there. The size and skill is what intrigues you. He seems like a confident kid to me which I like.”
Perhaps that trio will spark the Flyers’ offense. At this point, it certainly can’t hurt to try as they can’t make the playoffs on the strength of Giroux’s assertions alone.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)