Oct 23, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The day after his words apparently fired up the Oilers to the point where they were able to win a hockey game, Lars Eller was apologetic.
Eller, who referred to Edmonton as a “junior team” that was “all over the place” prior to Tuesday’s 4-3 loss, admitted he used a “poor choice of words,” in describing the Oilers.
“It wasn’t my intention to be disrespectful against [Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins] or anybody else,” Eller explained, as per the Canadian Press. “You win some, you lose some, you learn from it.”
The effect of Eller’s words was heightened thanks to Eakins, who made a point of calling out the Danish forward for firing up his team, which was 2-6-1 heading into last night.
“When you have a player like Lars Eller running his mouth before the game, it makes for great banter in our dressing room and great motivation,” Eakins said. “That is a total hockey god thing. I’m sure that young man has learned his lesson, and I highly doubt you’ll see anything like that out of his mouth again.”
Now feels like a good time to point out that, 10 games into his NHL coaching career, Eakins is hat-tipping Eller and the “hockey gods” for helping his club win its third game of the year.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 44
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 38
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)