Oct 23, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
The day after his words apparently fired up the Oilers to the point where they were able to win a hockey game, Lars Eller was apologetic.
Eller, who referred to Edmonton as a “junior team” that was “all over the place” prior to Tuesday’s 4-3 loss, admitted he used a “poor choice of words,” in describing the Oilers.
“It wasn’t my intention to be disrespectful against [Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins] or anybody else,” Eller explained, as per the Canadian Press. “You win some, you lose some, you learn from it.”
The effect of Eller’s words was heightened thanks to Eakins, who made a point of calling out the Danish forward for firing up his team, which was 2-6-1 heading into last night.
“When you have a player like Lars Eller running his mouth before the game, it makes for great banter in our dressing room and great motivation,” Eakins said. “That is a total hockey god thing. I’m sure that young man has learned his lesson, and I highly doubt you’ll see anything like that out of his mouth again.”
Now feels like a good time to point out that, 10 games into his NHL coaching career, Eakins is hat-tipping Eller and the “hockey gods” for helping his club win its third game of the year.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)