Oct 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Cody McLeod, currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall from behind into the boards last week, has spoken publicly about the hit and the length of his ban.
In an article in the Denver Post, McLeod, the Colorado Avalanche forward, made it be known that he is not in favor of the sentence handed down by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice-president of player safety.
McLeod also conveyed detail of a conversation he had with Kronwall later on in the evening.
“I went and saw him after the first (period). I apologized and we talked it over. I just wanted to make sure he’s alright, and I’m glad he is. I don’t want to hurt anyone out there,” McLeod told the Denver Post.
In the article, it was written that Kronwall accepted blame for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
“It was good to hear that he was a bit at fault too,” said McLeod.
“Like I said, I don’t want to hurt anyone out there. As a third- or fourth-line player it’s my job to go out and finish my checks. It’s too bad it happened like that.”
Kronwall had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher, and suffered a mild concussion, as well as cuts to his ear.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 1
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 9
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)