Oct 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Cody McLeod, currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall from behind into the boards last week, has spoken publicly about the hit and the length of his ban.
In an article in the Denver Post, McLeod, the Colorado Avalanche forward, made it be known that he is not in favor of the sentence handed down by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice-president of player safety.
McLeod also conveyed detail of a conversation he had with Kronwall later on in the evening.
“I went and saw him after the first (period). I apologized and we talked it over. I just wanted to make sure he’s alright, and I’m glad he is. I don’t want to hurt anyone out there,” McLeod told the Denver Post.
In the article, it was written that Kronwall accepted blame for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
“It was good to hear that he was a bit at fault too,” said McLeod.
“Like I said, I don’t want to hurt anyone out there. As a third- or fourth-line player it’s my job to go out and finish my checks. It’s too bad it happened like that.”
Kronwall had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher, and suffered a mild concussion, as well as cuts to his ear.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)