Oct 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Cody McLeod, currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall from behind into the boards last week, has spoken publicly about the hit and the length of his ban.
In an article in the Denver Post, McLeod, the Colorado Avalanche forward, made it be known that he is not in favor of the sentence handed down by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice-president of player safety.
McLeod also conveyed detail of a conversation he had with Kronwall later on in the evening.
“I went and saw him after the first (period). I apologized and we talked it over. I just wanted to make sure he’s alright, and I’m glad he is. I don’t want to hurt anyone out there,” McLeod told the Denver Post.
In the article, it was written that Kronwall accepted blame for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
“It was good to hear that he was a bit at fault too,” said McLeod.
“Like I said, I don’t want to hurt anyone out there. As a third- or fourth-line player it’s my job to go out and finish my checks. It’s too bad it happened like that.”
Kronwall had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher, and suffered a mild concussion, as well as cuts to his ear.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)