Oct 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
Cody McLeod, currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall from behind into the boards last week, has spoken publicly about the hit and the length of his ban.
In an article in the Denver Post, McLeod, the Colorado Avalanche forward, made it be known that he is not in favor of the sentence handed down by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice-president of player safety.
McLeod also conveyed detail of a conversation he had with Kronwall later on in the evening.
“I went and saw him after the first (period). I apologized and we talked it over. I just wanted to make sure he’s alright, and I’m glad he is. I don’t want to hurt anyone out there,” McLeod told the Denver Post.
In the article, it was written that Kronwall accepted blame for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
“It was good to hear that he was a bit at fault too,” said McLeod.
“Like I said, I don’t want to hurt anyone out there. As a third- or fourth-line player it’s my job to go out and finish my checks. It’s too bad it happened like that.”
Kronwall had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher, and suffered a mild concussion, as well as cuts to his ear.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 33
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 10
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)