Oct 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
Cody McLeod, currently serving a five-game suspension for hitting Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall from behind into the boards last week, has spoken publicly about the hit and the length of his ban.
In an article in the Denver Post, McLeod, the Colorado Avalanche forward, made it be known that he is not in favor of the sentence handed down by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s senior vice-president of player safety.
McLeod also conveyed detail of a conversation he had with Kronwall later on in the evening.
“I went and saw him after the first (period). I apologized and we talked it over. I just wanted to make sure he’s alright, and I’m glad he is. I don’t want to hurt anyone out there,” McLeod told the Denver Post.
In the article, it was written that Kronwall accepted blame for putting himself in a vulnerable position.
“It was good to hear that he was a bit at fault too,” said McLeod.
“Like I said, I don’t want to hurt anyone out there. As a third- or fourth-line player it’s my job to go out and finish my checks. It’s too bad it happened like that.”
Kronwall had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher, and suffered a mild concussion, as well as cuts to his ear.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 94
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (94)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)