Oct 23, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Think of it like a dress rehearsal.
On Wednesday, Daniel Alfredsson will face his former club of 17 years, the Ottawa Senators, for the first time since his stunning offseason departure to Detroit.
We say dress rehearsal, because tonight’s game will be in the friendly confines of Joe Louis, rather than the potential powder keg that awaits in Ottawa. That’s not to say, though, that Alfie isn’t expecting an emotional night.
“Obviously I’ve got a lot of good friends on the other side. I think it will be a relief once the puck drops,” Alfredsson told the Canadian Press. “There will be a lot of emotion going into the game … But it’s a bit exciting too.”
Alfredsson’s had a very good start to his Red Wings tenure. He leads the team in assists, with eight, and sits third on the team in points (nine), trailing Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, who share the lead with 11.
The 40-year-old Swede has proven to be a versatile asset for Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. Injuries and a glut of bodies at forward have forced Babcock to juggle his lines incessantly, and Alfredsson has proven to be a key cog in that shuffle by excelling in a number of situations.
“He was there a long time and I don’t care who you are, there’s lots of emotion in that when you face your old team,” Babcock said. ”There’ll be emotion that he made a decision and we’re thankful for the decision.
“The great thing about it is we’re all entitled to make those – and he decided to come here.”
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
He was a late scratch for Tuesday’s loss to Columbus.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Calgary hosts Phoenix at the Saddledome.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Pirri’s slumped lately after a hot start to the year.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 14
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)