Oct 23, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Think of it like a dress rehearsal.
On Wednesday, Daniel Alfredsson will face his former club of 17 years, the Ottawa Senators, for the first time since his stunning offseason departure to Detroit.
We say dress rehearsal, because tonight’s game will be in the friendly confines of Joe Louis, rather than the potential powder keg that awaits in Ottawa. That’s not to say, though, that Alfie isn’t expecting an emotional night.
“Obviously I’ve got a lot of good friends on the other side. I think it will be a relief once the puck drops,” Alfredsson told the Canadian Press. “There will be a lot of emotion going into the game … But it’s a bit exciting too.”
Alfredsson’s had a very good start to his Red Wings tenure. He leads the team in assists, with eight, and sits third on the team in points (nine), trailing Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, who share the lead with 11.
The 40-year-old Swede has proven to be a versatile asset for Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. Injuries and a glut of bodies at forward have forced Babcock to juggle his lines incessantly, and Alfredsson has proven to be a key cog in that shuffle by excelling in a number of situations.
“He was there a long time and I don’t care who you are, there’s lots of emotion in that when you face your old team,” Babcock said. ”There’ll be emotion that he made a decision and we’re thankful for the decision.
“The great thing about it is we’re all entitled to make those – and he decided to come here.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)