Oct 23, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Jarred Tinordi‘s bright start to his NHL career just got a little darker.
Tinordi, Montreal’s 21-year-old rookie defenseman, was sent down to AHL Hamilton on Wednesday, the day after being made a healthy scratch for the Habs’ 4-3 loss to Edmonton.
A 6-foot-6, 227-pounder with a nasty streak, Tinordi made an impression in training camp and early this season by dishing out big hits. He played a career-high 16:42 in a 3-2 loss to Calgary on Oct. 9 and dressed for both games prior to the Edmonton loss — a 2-1 loss to Nashville and a 5-3 win over Columbus.
But on Tuesday, Habs head coach Michel Therrien sent Tinordi a message.
“We want him to bring the intensity he did at training camp,” Therrien explained. “He’s not doing that right now.”
Tinordi’s demotion means Nathan Beaulieu will stick with the Habs — for now — and likely be in the lineup when they host Anaheim on Thursday. Beaulieu played 11:26 against the Oilers, blocking three shots.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)