Oct 23, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Jarred Tinordi‘s bright start to his NHL career just got a little darker.
Tinordi, Montreal’s 21-year-old rookie defenseman, was sent down to AHL Hamilton on Wednesday, the day after being made a healthy scratch for the Habs’ 4-3 loss to Edmonton.
A 6-foot-6, 227-pounder with a nasty streak, Tinordi made an impression in training camp and early this season by dishing out big hits. He played a career-high 16:42 in a 3-2 loss to Calgary on Oct. 9 and dressed for both games prior to the Edmonton loss — a 2-1 loss to Nashville and a 5-3 win over Columbus.
But on Tuesday, Habs head coach Michel Therrien sent Tinordi a message.
“We want him to bring the intensity he did at training camp,” Therrien explained. “He’s not doing that right now.”
Tinordi’s demotion means Nathan Beaulieu will stick with the Habs — for now — and likely be in the lineup when they host Anaheim on Thursday. Beaulieu played 11:26 against the Oilers, blocking three shots.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 15
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)