Oct 22, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
Mika Zibanejad’s time in the minors has come to a close — for now.
Zibanejad, Ottawa’s first-round pick (sixth overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has been recalled from AHL Binghamton after a successful stint with the B-Sens that saw him score two goals and seven points in six games.
The 20-year-old was a surprise final cut from the Sens roster following training camp, especially after playing well during the 2013 season, his first full NHL campaign.
Zibanejad finished fourth on the team in scoring (20 points in 42 games) — as a 19-year-old — then proceeded to score four points in 10 playoff games while averaging over 13 minutes a night.
A 6-foot-2, 211-pounder with skill, Zibanejad returns to the Sens at a crucial time. The club is facing an extremely difficult stretch of the the schedule — on Wednesday, the Sens play in Detroit, followed by home games against Anaheim and San Jose.
After that, it’s out to Chicago for a date at the United Center against the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)