Oct 22, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have dipped into their farm system for lineup reinforcements, recalling Devante Smith-Pelly from AHL Norfolk.
Smith-Pelly, 21, is flying to Toronto to join the team while Dustin Penner remains in Anaheim for further concussion testing and evaluation. Penner was injured during Sunday’s win over Dallas on a high hit from Ryan Garbutt.
Smith-Pelly has fallen out of the mix in Anaheim after a successful 2011-12 rookie campaign that saw him score 13 points in 49 games. He dressed for just seven contests last season and didn’t make the team out of training camp this year.
What’s more, he’s not expected to dress on Tuesday against the Leafs.
Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register reports Emerson Etem will jump up to the second line to play with Mathieu Perreault and Teemu Selanne, while Jakob Silfverberg will play on the fourth line with Nick Bonino and Patrick Maroon.
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 23
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 47
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 18
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 25
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (73)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)