Oct 22, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have dipped into their farm system for lineup reinforcements, recalling Devante Smith-Pelly from AHL Norfolk.
Smith-Pelly, 21, is flying to Toronto to join the team while Dustin Penner remains in Anaheim for further concussion testing and evaluation. Penner was injured during Sunday’s win over Dallas on a high hit from Ryan Garbutt.
Smith-Pelly has fallen out of the mix in Anaheim after a successful 2011-12 rookie campaign that saw him score 13 points in 49 games. He dressed for just seven contests last season and didn’t make the team out of training camp this year.
What’s more, he’s not expected to dress on Tuesday against the Leafs.
Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register reports Emerson Etem will jump up to the second line to play with Mathieu Perreault and Teemu Selanne, while Jakob Silfverberg will play on the fourth line with Nick Bonino and Patrick Maroon.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54