Oct 22, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have dipped into their farm system for lineup reinforcements, recalling Devante Smith-Pelly from AHL Norfolk.
Smith-Pelly, 21, is flying to Toronto to join the team while Dustin Penner remains in Anaheim for further concussion testing and evaluation. Penner was injured during Sunday’s win over Dallas on a high hit from Ryan Garbutt.
Smith-Pelly has fallen out of the mix in Anaheim after a successful 2011-12 rookie campaign that saw him score 13 points in 49 games. He dressed for just seven contests last season and didn’t make the team out of training camp this year.
What’s more, he’s not expected to dress on Tuesday against the Leafs.
Eric Stephens of the O.C. Register reports Emerson Etem will jump up to the second line to play with Mathieu Perreault and Teemu Selanne, while Jakob Silfverberg will play on the fourth line with Nick Bonino and Patrick Maroon.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)