Oct 22, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Ericsson was hurt Saturday versus Phoenix. He had an MRI late Monday after attending the birth of his baby girl. The big 29-year-old missed yesterday’s game versus San Jose.
The good news for the Wings is that d-man Niklas Kronwall (concussion) is expected to play Wednesday at home to Ottawa.
With both Ericsson and Kronwall out last night versus the Sharks, young Xavier Ouellet made his NHL debut, logging 17:15 of ice time in the 1-0 shootout loss.
Ouellet’s performance left head coach Mike Babcock impressed.
“I thought he was real good, I thought he was steady,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “Just smart and knows how to play. I liked him through training camp. It’s not a big surprise to me. He’s smart, doesn’t make lots of mistakes.
“As a young D, often it’s not so much upside what you do it’s how few mistakes you make. Conscientious, trustworthy, you get to play a lot. He did a good job.”
With Kronwall expected to return Wednesday, it’s not clear if Ouellet will remain with the big club, potentially as a healthy scratch, or be sent back to AHL Grand Rapids.
Update (5:45 p.m ET):
Back to Grand Rapids.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (74)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)