Oct 22, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Ericsson was hurt Saturday versus Phoenix. He had an MRI late Monday after attending the birth of his baby girl. The big 29-year-old missed yesterday’s game versus San Jose.
The good news for the Wings is that d-man Niklas Kronwall (concussion) is expected to play Wednesday at home to Ottawa.
With both Ericsson and Kronwall out last night versus the Sharks, young Xavier Ouellet made his NHL debut, logging 17:15 of ice time in the 1-0 shootout loss.
Ouellet’s performance left head coach Mike Babcock impressed.
“I thought he was real good, I thought he was steady,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “Just smart and knows how to play. I liked him through training camp. It’s not a big surprise to me. He’s smart, doesn’t make lots of mistakes.
“As a young D, often it’s not so much upside what you do it’s how few mistakes you make. Conscientious, trustworthy, you get to play a lot. He did a good job.”
With Kronwall expected to return Wednesday, it’s not clear if Ouellet will remain with the big club, potentially as a healthy scratch, or be sent back to AHL Grand Rapids.
Update (5:45 p.m ET):
Back to Grand Rapids.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)