Oct 22, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Ericsson was hurt Saturday versus Phoenix. He had an MRI late Monday after attending the birth of his baby girl. The big 29-year-old missed yesterday’s game versus San Jose.
The good news for the Wings is that d-man Niklas Kronwall (concussion) is expected to play Wednesday at home to Ottawa.
With both Ericsson and Kronwall out last night versus the Sharks, young Xavier Ouellet made his NHL debut, logging 17:15 of ice time in the 1-0 shootout loss.
Ouellet’s performance left head coach Mike Babcock impressed.
“I thought he was real good, I thought he was steady,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “Just smart and knows how to play. I liked him through training camp. It’s not a big surprise to me. He’s smart, doesn’t make lots of mistakes.
“As a young D, often it’s not so much upside what you do it’s how few mistakes you make. Conscientious, trustworthy, you get to play a lot. He did a good job.”
With Kronwall expected to return Wednesday, it’s not clear if Ouellet will remain with the big club, potentially as a healthy scratch, or be sent back to AHL Grand Rapids.
Update (5:45 p.m ET):
Back to Grand Rapids.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 1
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 1
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal 6
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 29
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46