Oct 22, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Ericsson was hurt Saturday versus Phoenix. He had an MRI late Monday after attending the birth of his baby girl. The big 29-year-old missed yesterday’s game versus San Jose.
The good news for the Wings is that d-man Niklas Kronwall (concussion) is expected to play Wednesday at home to Ottawa.
With both Ericsson and Kronwall out last night versus the Sharks, young Xavier Ouellet made his NHL debut, logging 17:15 of ice time in the 1-0 shootout loss.
Ouellet’s performance left head coach Mike Babcock impressed.
“I thought he was real good, I thought he was steady,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “Just smart and knows how to play. I liked him through training camp. It’s not a big surprise to me. He’s smart, doesn’t make lots of mistakes.
“As a young D, often it’s not so much upside what you do it’s how few mistakes you make. Conscientious, trustworthy, you get to play a lot. He did a good job.”
With Kronwall expected to return Wednesday, it’s not clear if Ouellet will remain with the big club, potentially as a healthy scratch, or be sent back to AHL Grand Rapids.
Update (5:45 p.m ET):
Back to Grand Rapids.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5