Oct 22, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
According to Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, Ericsson was hurt Saturday versus Phoenix. He had an MRI late Monday after attending the birth of his baby girl. The big 29-year-old missed yesterday’s game versus San Jose.
The good news for the Wings is that d-man Niklas Kronwall (concussion) is expected to play Wednesday at home to Ottawa.
With both Ericsson and Kronwall out last night versus the Sharks, young Xavier Ouellet made his NHL debut, logging 17:15 of ice time in the 1-0 shootout loss.
Ouellet’s performance left head coach Mike Babcock impressed.
“I thought he was real good, I thought he was steady,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “Just smart and knows how to play. I liked him through training camp. It’s not a big surprise to me. He’s smart, doesn’t make lots of mistakes.
“As a young D, often it’s not so much upside what you do it’s how few mistakes you make. Conscientious, trustworthy, you get to play a lot. He did a good job.”
With Kronwall expected to return Wednesday, it’s not clear if Ouellet will remain with the big club, potentially as a healthy scratch, or be sent back to AHL Grand Rapids.
Update (5:45 p.m ET):
Back to Grand Rapids.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 25
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40