Oct 22, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
Sean Monahan isn’t making this easy for the Calgary Flames.
The 19-year-old rookie scored his sixth goal of the season in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the L.A. Kings on Monday. Calgary’s first-round pick, sixth overall, in this year’s draft played in his eighth game, which is important because he is ever-so-close to the nine-game mark.
The Flames can send him back down to junior after his ninth game and it won’t burn a year of his entry-level contract.
Roger Millions of Sportsnet tweeted out that his understanding is after Monahan plays his ninth game, which would be Tuesday in Phoenix, that the Flames will make a decision on him the following day.
But that decision is proving to be a very difficult one. Monahan has nine points, and on Monday he played 21 minutes and 11 seconds – that is by far the most ice time he’s received in any of the eight games he’s played at the NHL level.
And he seems to be leaving quite an impression.
“He’s fun to coach. He’s fun to have around. He’s a great kid. Very honestly, he’s quite a learner,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)