Oct 22, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
Sean Monahan isn’t making this easy for the Calgary Flames.
The 19-year-old rookie scored his sixth goal of the season in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the L.A. Kings on Monday. Calgary’s first-round pick, sixth overall, in this year’s draft played in his eighth game, which is important because he is ever-so-close to the nine-game mark.
The Flames can send him back down to junior after his ninth game and it won’t burn a year of his entry-level contract.
Roger Millions of Sportsnet tweeted out that his understanding is after Monahan plays his ninth game, which would be Tuesday in Phoenix, that the Flames will make a decision on him the following day.
But that decision is proving to be a very difficult one. Monahan has nine points, and on Monday he played 21 minutes and 11 seconds – that is by far the most ice time he’s received in any of the eight games he’s played at the NHL level.
And he seems to be leaving quite an impression.
“He’s fun to coach. He’s fun to have around. He’s a great kid. Very honestly, he’s quite a learner,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)