Oct 22, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
Sean Monahan isn’t making this easy for the Calgary Flames.
The 19-year-old rookie scored his sixth goal of the season in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the L.A. Kings on Monday. Calgary’s first-round pick, sixth overall, in this year’s draft played in his eighth game, which is important because he is ever-so-close to the nine-game mark.
The Flames can send him back down to junior after his ninth game and it won’t burn a year of his entry-level contract.
Roger Millions of Sportsnet tweeted out that his understanding is after Monahan plays his ninth game, which would be Tuesday in Phoenix, that the Flames will make a decision on him the following day.
But that decision is proving to be a very difficult one. Monahan has nine points, and on Monday he played 21 minutes and 11 seconds – that is by far the most ice time he’s received in any of the eight games he’s played at the NHL level.
And he seems to be leaving quite an impression.
“He’s fun to coach. He’s fun to have around. He’s a great kid. Very honestly, he’s quite a learner,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)