Oct 22, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
Sean Monahan isn’t making this easy for the Calgary Flames.
The 19-year-old rookie scored his sixth goal of the season in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the L.A. Kings on Monday. Calgary’s first-round pick, sixth overall, in this year’s draft played in his eighth game, which is important because he is ever-so-close to the nine-game mark.
The Flames can send him back down to junior after his ninth game and it won’t burn a year of his entry-level contract.
Roger Millions of Sportsnet tweeted out that his understanding is after Monahan plays his ninth game, which would be Tuesday in Phoenix, that the Flames will make a decision on him the following day.
But that decision is proving to be a very difficult one. Monahan has nine points, and on Monday he played 21 minutes and 11 seconds – that is by far the most ice time he’s received in any of the eight games he’s played at the NHL level.
And he seems to be leaving quite an impression.
“He’s fun to coach. He’s fun to have around. He’s a great kid. Very honestly, he’s quite a learner,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 134
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)