Oct 22, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
Sean Monahan isn’t making this easy for the Calgary Flames.
The 19-year-old rookie scored his sixth goal of the season in the Flames’ 3-2 win over the L.A. Kings on Monday. Calgary’s first-round pick, sixth overall, in this year’s draft played in his eighth game, which is important because he is ever-so-close to the nine-game mark.
The Flames can send him back down to junior after his ninth game and it won’t burn a year of his entry-level contract.
Roger Millions of Sportsnet tweeted out that his understanding is after Monahan plays his ninth game, which would be Tuesday in Phoenix, that the Flames will make a decision on him the following day.
But that decision is proving to be a very difficult one. Monahan has nine points, and on Monday he played 21 minutes and 11 seconds – that is by far the most ice time he’s received in any of the eight games he’s played at the NHL level.
And he seems to be leaving quite an impression.
“He’s fun to coach. He’s fun to have around. He’s a great kid. Very honestly, he’s quite a learner,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley, as per Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)