Oct 22, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt will have his GM in tow for tomorrow’s meeting with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Jim Nill will accompany Garbutt to the league offices, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. The two will have a chance to address Garbutt’s hit on Ducks forward Dustin Penner during Anaheim’s 6-3 win on Sunday, a hit that knocked Penner out and forced him from the contest entirely.
Penner, 31, also didn’t travel with the Ducks to Toronto for the start of their season-long eight-game road trip. He remained in Anaheim to undergo evaluation and concussion testing.
Expect conspiracy theorists to raise their eyebrows at Nill going to the meeting (set for 11 a.m. ET). The longtime assistant GM in Detroit, Nill worked under Ken Holland during the golden Red Wings era that included a 10-year stint (and, three Stanley Cups) with Brendan Shanahan from 1996-2006.
Shanahan, of course, is the NHL’s discipline czar.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)