Oct 22, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt will have his GM in tow for tomorrow’s meeting with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Jim Nill will accompany Garbutt to the league offices, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. The two will have a chance to address Garbutt’s hit on Ducks forward Dustin Penner during Anaheim’s 6-3 win on Sunday, a hit that knocked Penner out and forced him from the contest entirely.
Penner, 31, also didn’t travel with the Ducks to Toronto for the start of their season-long eight-game road trip. He remained in Anaheim to undergo evaluation and concussion testing.
Expect conspiracy theorists to raise their eyebrows at Nill going to the meeting (set for 11 a.m. ET). The longtime assistant GM in Detroit, Nill worked under Ken Holland during the golden Red Wings era that included a 10-year stint (and, three Stanley Cups) with Brendan Shanahan from 1996-2006.
Shanahan, of course, is the NHL’s discipline czar.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 17
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7