So much for that: Tim Thomas injured again

Oct 22, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT

thomasgetty Getty Images

Tim Thomas seemed like he was getting back into a groove for the Florida Panthers, but that hit a snag – the same snag – late in Tuesday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks. It looks like the 39-year-old goalie re-injured his groin, according to sources including HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman and CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.

Update: Maybe it’s not a groin injury? Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen believes it isn’t groin-related, according to David J. Neal. The team said there won’t be updates tonight.

Jacob Markstrom took over for Thomas with about three minutes left in the third period. The Panthers didn’t confirm that he indeed re-injured his groin (yet), only noting that he left the contest.

It’s hard not to think that Thomas might not be in top condition after sitting out an entire season, but plenty of goalies (young ones included) deal with these types of ailments.

So far, it’s been an up-and-down return to the NHL for the unorthodox goalie. Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that Thomas is the kind of asset the Panthers “need,” so they’ll certainly want him back soon.

1. sabatimus - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Hey Timmy: have fun being a “team player” on IR.

2. blackhawks2010 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Be grateful for the loser point Panthers….

3. mp1131211 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Let’s be honest, its just been a lot of downs.

4. joey4id - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

LMAO! :-)

• caniac4ever - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM

^This coming from someone who calls people “heartless narcissists”. Joey, you’re one confused, uneducated, mindless commenter on this page. NBA will be here soon for ya bud…

• joey4id - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:04 AM

No! No! I have nothing against TT. I laugh at those who called me a Thomas hater for not believing a 39 year old can miss a year and come back to the same brilliance before he left the game. But! You can think whatever you want.

• joey4id - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I predicted here on PHT that we would get yanked before the end of the game versus his former team. Turned out I was wrong. I also wrote the following which led to a response from jpelle82.

joey4id – Oct 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Not a hater but more a skeptic of his ability to return and play a full lesson with brilliance after being out a full season. One game does not a season make. I wrote that if he does sign they should tie his salary to games played and wins. Ex: 800k base, plus x amount per start and another x amount per win, x bonus if yet make the playoffs, and x amount for each round win. But! What do I know? Maybe the guy is phenom.

jpelle82 – Oct 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM

you dont know much apparently

• thailer35 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Does no one remember the lockout and the consequences of repeating your “predictions” here??

5. 950003cups - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Sounds like a real pain in the balls. Again

6. govtminion - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Wait, a goalie in his 40s who took a year off from hockey is having trouble staying healthy?

Who knew?

• c9castine - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM

not 40

7. kicksave1980 - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Judging by Thomas’ reaction and the way he was favoring certain movements, if that wasn’t a groin pull, it’s something much more severe like ligament damage. When he got to the bench, he could barely put weight on his leg, and could not really move much. It looked to me like a definite groin injury, having had too many to want to count myself, but I guess we’ll have to see what the Panthers say later since they’re denying it.

8. charlieconway96 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:45 AM

As much I like Tim Thomas for the entertainment of his “ima do what I want” headline producing attitude and past great play, it may be time to hang em up Timmy, you ain’t a young buck anymore.

• hockey412 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Still, his save % is a lot better than Markstrom’s. Generating a lot more press and attention, good and sometimes bad, than they would have otherwise. Still seems like a good move bringing him in. I highly doubt this injury will keep him out that long, and I still think he’s going to be their best goalie (sadly) when he returns.

Some times things don’t have to “work out” to work out. It’s all relative.

9. crazemastercraze - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Experts believe its a brain related injury caused by “loud mouth”

• hockey412 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Explain?

10. dropthepuckeh - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Last time I checked there were a bunch of goalies getting injured – Ryan Miller, Khudobin, Bishop, Lehtonen, Gustavsson, Vokoun, Lundqvist. I assume that by the logic on this board all of these guys are over the hill and out of shape as well. It can’t have anything to do with the position or the sport….

11. comeonnowguys - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

He was injured in the last game, he just gritted it out until they played Chicago so he could blame Obama for something else.

…No, I’m not proud of that.

12. kingcobraman - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

its unfortunate that he will spend most of his time injured that playing the game… the nhl needs more characters like him…

13. skr213 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I never used to believe in karma. Perhaps I’ll have to rethink that one.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

What type of stupid comment is this?

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches