Oct 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, citing league sources, reports the grievance has been settled with terms of the resolution being confidential.
Here’s a recap of the issue, from an August column in the Ottawa Citizen:
The Senators made the move after Heatley demanded to be traded out of Ottawa in 2009, but then used his no-trade clause to nix a deal that would have sent him to the Edmonton Oilers before $4 million bonus came due. The Senators later sent him to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Jonathan Cheechoo and Milan Michalek.
In an interview with the Citizen Friday, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said both camps are close to an agreement on the issue.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
When Melynk originally filed the grievance in ’09, several of Garrioch’s sources suggested the Sens owner wasn’t convinced the filing would be successful, but also wasn’t going to “fork over” an additional $4 million after paying Heatley $18 million in salary over the first two years of his six-year, $45 million contract.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)