Oct 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, citing league sources, reports the grievance has been settled with terms of the resolution being confidential.
Here’s a recap of the issue, from an August column in the Ottawa Citizen:
The Senators made the move after Heatley demanded to be traded out of Ottawa in 2009, but then used his no-trade clause to nix a deal that would have sent him to the Edmonton Oilers before $4 million bonus came due. The Senators later sent him to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Jonathan Cheechoo and Milan Michalek.
In an interview with the Citizen Friday, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said both camps are close to an agreement on the issue.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
When Melynk originally filed the grievance in ’09, several of Garrioch’s sources suggested the Sens owner wasn’t convinced the filing would be successful, but also wasn’t going to “fork over” an additional $4 million after paying Heatley $18 million in salary over the first two years of his six-year, $45 million contract.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5