Oct 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, citing league sources, reports the grievance has been settled with terms of the resolution being confidential.
Here’s a recap of the issue, from an August column in the Ottawa Citizen:
The Senators made the move after Heatley demanded to be traded out of Ottawa in 2009, but then used his no-trade clause to nix a deal that would have sent him to the Edmonton Oilers before $4 million bonus came due. The Senators later sent him to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Jonathan Cheechoo and Milan Michalek.
In an interview with the Citizen Friday, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said both camps are close to an agreement on the issue.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
When Melynk originally filed the grievance in ’09, several of Garrioch’s sources suggested the Sens owner wasn’t convinced the filing would be successful, but also wasn’t going to “fork over” an additional $4 million after paying Heatley $18 million in salary over the first two years of his six-year, $45 million contract.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)