Oct 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, citing league sources, reports the grievance has been settled with terms of the resolution being confidential.
Here’s a recap of the issue, from an August column in the Ottawa Citizen:
The Senators made the move after Heatley demanded to be traded out of Ottawa in 2009, but then used his no-trade clause to nix a deal that would have sent him to the Edmonton Oilers before $4 million bonus came due. The Senators later sent him to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Jonathan Cheechoo and Milan Michalek.
In an interview with the Citizen Friday, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said both camps are close to an agreement on the issue.
“We’re coming very close to resolution,” Melnyk said. “I think we’re at the stage now of resolving matters with him to our satisfaction and his satisfaction and, you know, we’re talking directly with his agent and seeing how we can … and we have tentatively come to an understanding of how to resolve it, so I think we’re going to be fine.”
When Melynk originally filed the grievance in ’09, several of Garrioch’s sources suggested the Sens owner wasn’t convinced the filing would be successful, but also wasn’t going to “fork over” an additional $4 million after paying Heatley $18 million in salary over the first two years of his six-year, $45 million contract.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)