Oct 22, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Before the last lockout (from 2007-08 to 2011-12), the NHL would kick off its seasons with a “Premiere” series of games in Europe. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun presents an interesting report that indicates the league and NHLPA present differing views on whether it’s wise to bring those games back in 2014-15.
LeBrun reports that league sources fear that they’d merely “shoehorn” the games it for the sake of playing them in Europe. Instead, they’d reportedly rather wait to do it “in a more meaningful fashion” and “make it part of a bigger plan.”
On the other hand, the players union wants to keep exploring options, arguing that it’s an “important tool” to generate exposure.
One can see the argument from both sides, so we’ll see how it goes. There can be special moments – especially when the league can line things up so a local hero plays in front of his hometown fans in his NHL uniform – but it’s also important to do it the right way.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)