Oct 22, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
One of the Wild’s main areas of concern last year was a lack of scoring — the team only averaged 2.46 goals per game, 22nd in the league.
This year, the lack of offensive production (2.11 goals per game) is an issue once again.
That’s why head coach Mike Yeo is stressing a need for creativity and aggression heading into tonight’s affair with Nashville, hoping the Wild can bust out of a slump that’s seen them score just five goals over the last four games.
“We’ve got to create more chances. We have to have an attack mentality,” Yeo told Fox Sports Minnesota. “When there’s an opportunity to finish, we’ve got to finish.”
Getting pucks on goal hasn’t been a problem thus far. Minnesota is averaging 30 per game.
The power play isn’t an issue, either. The Wild are going at a 26.3 percent clip, fourth-best in the NHL.
But it’s at even strength where the team suffers. Minnesota only has nine 5-on-5 goals this year — third-fewest in the league — are is the only team in the league with more power-play goals than even strength ones.
According to Zach Parise, the solution to these goalscoring woes is simple — less perimeter play, more guys crashing the goal.
“Right now, we’ve just got our guy in the high slot waiting for a one-timer, and our other guys on the outside,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “That’s not how you score. We need to get some guys going through the middle and getting around the net, penetrating the defense a little bit.’’
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)