Oct 22, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
One of the Wild’s main areas of concern last year was a lack of scoring — the team only averaged 2.46 goals per game, 22nd in the league.
This year, the lack of offensive production (2.11 goals per game) is an issue once again.
That’s why head coach Mike Yeo is stressing a need for creativity and aggression heading into tonight’s affair with Nashville, hoping the Wild can bust out of a slump that’s seen them score just five goals over the last four games.
“We’ve got to create more chances. We have to have an attack mentality,” Yeo told Fox Sports Minnesota. “When there’s an opportunity to finish, we’ve got to finish.”
Getting pucks on goal hasn’t been a problem thus far. Minnesota is averaging 30 per game.
The power play isn’t an issue, either. The Wild are going at a 26.3 percent clip, fourth-best in the NHL.
But it’s at even strength where the team suffers. Minnesota only has nine 5-on-5 goals this year — third-fewest in the league — are is the only team in the league with more power-play goals than even strength ones.
According to Zach Parise, the solution to these goalscoring woes is simple — less perimeter play, more guys crashing the goal.
“Right now, we’ve just got our guy in the high slot waiting for a one-timer, and our other guys on the outside,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “That’s not how you score. We need to get some guys going through the middle and getting around the net, penetrating the defense a little bit.’’
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 26
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)