Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
It might be hard to believe, but because of the lockout shortened campaign Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t played against the Anaheim Ducks team that fired him yet. That will change tonight.
Carlyle said tonight’s contest is special to him, but he hasn’t talked about it with his players, according to forward Troy Bodie. Still, Bodie knows that Carlyle wants to beat his former squad “really bad” and the Leafs want to give him that.
“Obviously, he wants us to put our best foot forward against a team that fired him,” Joffrey Lupul said, based on the Globe and Mail’s report. “I think all players can relate to that. Teams have traded them or different situations they’ve found themselves in.”
Lupul in particular has an idea of how Carlyle must feel given that the Anaheim Ducks dealt him. That’s proven to be for the best though, as he’s moved up in the Maple Leafs depth charts and has turned into a point-per-game player.
He’s one of the reasons Toronto got off to a hot start, but the Leafs have been slipping lately with back-to-back losses. Even ignoring their opponent, they will want to bounce back before this snowballs into a lengthy losing streak that counters their early accomplishments. Meanwhile, Anaheim has been cruising with seven straight wins under Carlyle’s replacement, coach Bruce Boudreau.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)