Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
It might be hard to believe, but because of the lockout shortened campaign Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t played against the Anaheim Ducks team that fired him yet. That will change tonight.
Carlyle said tonight’s contest is special to him, but he hasn’t talked about it with his players, according to forward Troy Bodie. Still, Bodie knows that Carlyle wants to beat his former squad “really bad” and the Leafs want to give him that.
“Obviously, he wants us to put our best foot forward against a team that fired him,” Joffrey Lupul said, based on the Globe and Mail’s report. “I think all players can relate to that. Teams have traded them or different situations they’ve found themselves in.”
Lupul in particular has an idea of how Carlyle must feel given that the Anaheim Ducks dealt him. That’s proven to be for the best though, as he’s moved up in the Maple Leafs depth charts and has turned into a point-per-game player.
He’s one of the reasons Toronto got off to a hot start, but the Leafs have been slipping lately with back-to-back losses. Even ignoring their opponent, they will want to bounce back before this snowballs into a lengthy losing streak that counters their early accomplishments. Meanwhile, Anaheim has been cruising with seven straight wins under Carlyle’s replacement, coach Bruce Boudreau.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)