Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
It might be hard to believe, but because of the lockout shortened campaign Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t played against the Anaheim Ducks team that fired him yet. That will change tonight.
Carlyle said tonight’s contest is special to him, but he hasn’t talked about it with his players, according to forward Troy Bodie. Still, Bodie knows that Carlyle wants to beat his former squad “really bad” and the Leafs want to give him that.
“Obviously, he wants us to put our best foot forward against a team that fired him,” Joffrey Lupul said, based on the Globe and Mail’s report. “I think all players can relate to that. Teams have traded them or different situations they’ve found themselves in.”
Lupul in particular has an idea of how Carlyle must feel given that the Anaheim Ducks dealt him. That’s proven to be for the best though, as he’s moved up in the Maple Leafs depth charts and has turned into a point-per-game player.
He’s one of the reasons Toronto got off to a hot start, but the Leafs have been slipping lately with back-to-back losses. Even ignoring their opponent, they will want to bounce back before this snowballs into a lengthy losing streak that counters their early accomplishments. Meanwhile, Anaheim has been cruising with seven straight wins under Carlyle’s replacement, coach Bruce Boudreau.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 0
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 40
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 29
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8