Oct 22, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
It might be hard to believe, but because of the lockout shortened campaign Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t played against the Anaheim Ducks team that fired him yet. That will change tonight.
Carlyle said tonight’s contest is special to him, but he hasn’t talked about it with his players, according to forward Troy Bodie. Still, Bodie knows that Carlyle wants to beat his former squad “really bad” and the Leafs want to give him that.
“Obviously, he wants us to put our best foot forward against a team that fired him,” Joffrey Lupul said, based on the Globe and Mail’s report. “I think all players can relate to that. Teams have traded them or different situations they’ve found themselves in.”
Lupul in particular has an idea of how Carlyle must feel given that the Anaheim Ducks dealt him. That’s proven to be for the best though, as he’s moved up in the Maple Leafs depth charts and has turned into a point-per-game player.
He’s one of the reasons Toronto got off to a hot start, but the Leafs have been slipping lately with back-to-back losses. Even ignoring their opponent, they will want to bounce back before this snowballs into a lengthy losing streak that counters their early accomplishments. Meanwhile, Anaheim has been cruising with seven straight wins under Carlyle’s replacement, coach Bruce Boudreau.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 3
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 93
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (94)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)