Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
The Rangers didn’t need any more bad news, given they’re off to a 2-5-0 start and already lost captain Ryan Callahan to injury.
But when it rains…
On Tuesday, the club announced that Henrik Lundqvist is “day-to-day” with a “minor issue” after the starting netminder missed his second straight day of practice.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Ludnqvist was on ice [Tuesday] at the MSG Training Center for a few minutes before the team went on for pactice, wearing a t-shirt, shorts, socks and skates, and appeared to be testing his skates not far from the bench, while the Zamboni cleaned the ice.
This comes after Lundqvist was reportedly given Monday off as a “maintenance day,” according to a Rangers spokesman.
While this may amount to nothing — New York doesn’t play again until Thursday vs. Philadelphia — any potential injury to Lundqvist is newsworthy given the unstable nature of the team’s backup position.
Veteran Martin Biron announced his retirement just a few days after the club placed him on waivers and, upon clearing, assigned him to AHL Connecticut.
In Biron’s place, the Rangers are rolling with the duo of Cam Talbot and Jason Missiaen. Talbot backed up Lundqvist in a 2-0 win over the Capitals and Missiaen backed up for Saturday’s 4-0 loss to New Jersey.
Neither has any NHL experience.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 40
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)