Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
The Rangers didn’t need any more bad news, given they’re off to a 2-5-0 start and already lost captain Ryan Callahan to injury.
But when it rains…
On Tuesday, the club announced that Henrik Lundqvist is “day-to-day” with a “minor issue” after the starting netminder missed his second straight day of practice.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Ludnqvist was on ice [Tuesday] at the MSG Training Center for a few minutes before the team went on for pactice, wearing a t-shirt, shorts, socks and skates, and appeared to be testing his skates not far from the bench, while the Zamboni cleaned the ice.
This comes after Lundqvist was reportedly given Monday off as a “maintenance day,” according to a Rangers spokesman.
While this may amount to nothing — New York doesn’t play again until Thursday vs. Philadelphia — any potential injury to Lundqvist is newsworthy given the unstable nature of the team’s backup position.
Veteran Martin Biron announced his retirement just a few days after the club placed him on waivers and, upon clearing, assigned him to AHL Connecticut.
In Biron’s place, the Rangers are rolling with the duo of Cam Talbot and Jason Missiaen. Talbot backed up Lundqvist in a 2-0 win over the Capitals and Missiaen backed up for Saturday’s 4-0 loss to New Jersey.
Neither has any NHL experience.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)