Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
The Rangers didn’t need any more bad news, given they’re off to a 2-5-0 start and already lost captain Ryan Callahan to injury.
But when it rains…
On Tuesday, the club announced that Henrik Lundqvist is “day-to-day” with a “minor issue” after the starting netminder missed his second straight day of practice.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Ludnqvist was on ice [Tuesday] at the MSG Training Center for a few minutes before the team went on for pactice, wearing a t-shirt, shorts, socks and skates, and appeared to be testing his skates not far from the bench, while the Zamboni cleaned the ice.
This comes after Lundqvist was reportedly given Monday off as a “maintenance day,” according to a Rangers spokesman.
While this may amount to nothing — New York doesn’t play again until Thursday vs. Philadelphia — any potential injury to Lundqvist is newsworthy given the unstable nature of the team’s backup position.
Veteran Martin Biron announced his retirement just a few days after the club placed him on waivers and, upon clearing, assigned him to AHL Connecticut.
In Biron’s place, the Rangers are rolling with the duo of Cam Talbot and Jason Missiaen. Talbot backed up Lundqvist in a 2-0 win over the Capitals and Missiaen backed up for Saturday’s 4-0 loss to New Jersey.
Neither has any NHL experience.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)