Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Rangers didn’t need any more bad news, given they’re off to a 2-5-0 start and already lost captain Ryan Callahan to injury.
But when it rains…
On Tuesday, the club announced that Henrik Lundqvist is “day-to-day” with a “minor issue” after the starting netminder missed his second straight day of practice.
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Ludnqvist was on ice [Tuesday] at the MSG Training Center for a few minutes before the team went on for pactice, wearing a t-shirt, shorts, socks and skates, and appeared to be testing his skates not far from the bench, while the Zamboni cleaned the ice.
This comes after Lundqvist was reportedly given Monday off as a “maintenance day,” according to a Rangers spokesman.
While this may amount to nothing — New York doesn’t play again until Thursday vs. Philadelphia — any potential injury to Lundqvist is newsworthy given the unstable nature of the team’s backup position.
Veteran Martin Biron announced his retirement just a few days after the club placed him on waivers and, upon clearing, assigned him to AHL Connecticut.
In Biron’s place, the Rangers are rolling with the duo of Cam Talbot and Jason Missiaen. Talbot backed up Lundqvist in a 2-0 win over the Capitals and Missiaen backed up for Saturday’s 4-0 loss to New Jersey.
Neither has any NHL experience.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)