Oct 22, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
The new Winnipeg Jets are in their third season, but they haven’t participated in a playoff game since relocation. Maybe that will change this season, but they’ve been stuck in the mud with a 4-5-0 record.
On Monday, Jets coach Claude Noel lamented that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.” However, if things don’t turn around, it could be him out of a job.
Although he’s not expected to directly talk about his job security, Noel might have addressed the issue in a roundabout way yesterday.
“My job is to get the best out of our team and our players,” Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. “That’s very clear. That’s my job and if I don’t do that, there’s consequences. I clearly understand those things.”
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff expressed faith in the team’s existing core when he spent $93 million re-signing Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, and Blake Wheeler over the summer. They all got some form of a no-trade clause, as does Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Andrew Ladd, which is another trio inked in to long-term contracts.
With many of the keys players locked up, it seems fair to believe that the Jets’ management thinks their existing squad is capable of making the playoffs, even if that’s not the direction they’re headed in so far.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)