Oct 22, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
The new Winnipeg Jets are in their third season, but they haven’t participated in a playoff game since relocation. Maybe that will change this season, but they’ve been stuck in the mud with a 4-5-0 record.
On Monday, Jets coach Claude Noel lamented that he doesn’t “have enough players to sit everybody.” However, if things don’t turn around, it could be him out of a job.
Although he’s not expected to directly talk about his job security, Noel might have addressed the issue in a roundabout way yesterday.
“My job is to get the best out of our team and our players,” Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. “That’s very clear. That’s my job and if I don’t do that, there’s consequences. I clearly understand those things.”
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff expressed faith in the team’s existing core when he spent $93 million re-signing Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, and Blake Wheeler over the summer. They all got some form of a no-trade clause, as does Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Andrew Ladd, which is another trio inked in to long-term contracts.
With many of the keys players locked up, it seems fair to believe that the Jets’ management thinks their existing squad is capable of making the playoffs, even if that’s not the direction they’re headed in so far.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)