Oct 22, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are in the midst of a rare seven-day break in their schedule, having last played on Friday (a 4-3 shootout loss in Winnipeg) and not hitting the ice again until this Friday (a home date against Vancouver).
For goalie Jaroslav Halak, the week off has allowed him to experience the highs and lows of nautical adventure.
Over the weekend, the Blues had a team getaway to South Carolina for some deep-sea fishing, one that didn’t exactly vibe with the contents of Halak’s stomach.
On the other boat, goalie Jaroslav Halak had a tough time keeping his breakfast inside of him.
Bouwmeester might be the NHL’s version of Ron Swanson. Bet he would’ve gotten angry if Halak wasted a perfectly good breakfast.
Anyway, things got better for Halak on the boating tip when he and defenseman Jordan Leopold saw the new Tom Hanks movie “Captain Phillips,” the story of Somali pirates hijacking the Maersk Alabama in the Indian Ocean in 2009.
The Blues teammates gave the movie two thumbs-up, though Leopold’s ranking is a bit skewed because it sounds like he was mostly happy about getting out of the house.
“It was good,” Leopold said. “I can’t tell you the last time I saw a movie. I’ve got kids.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)