Oct 22, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are in the midst of a rare seven-day break in their schedule, having last played on Friday (a 4-3 shootout loss in Winnipeg) and not hitting the ice again until this Friday (a home date against Vancouver).
For goalie Jaroslav Halak, the week off has allowed him to experience the highs and lows of nautical adventure.
Over the weekend, the Blues had a team getaway to South Carolina for some deep-sea fishing, one that didn’t exactly vibe with the contents of Halak’s stomach.
On the other boat, goalie Jaroslav Halak had a tough time keeping his breakfast inside of him.
Bouwmeester might be the NHL’s version of Ron Swanson. Bet he would’ve gotten angry if Halak wasted a perfectly good breakfast.
Anyway, things got better for Halak on the boating tip when he and defenseman Jordan Leopold saw the new Tom Hanks movie “Captain Phillips,” the story of Somali pirates hijacking the Maersk Alabama in the Indian Ocean in 2009.
The Blues teammates gave the movie two thumbs-up, though Leopold’s ranking is a bit skewed because it sounds like he was mostly happy about getting out of the house.
“It was good,” Leopold said. “I can’t tell you the last time I saw a movie. I’ve got kids.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)