Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
Chris Kreider was playing in the American Hockey League just three days ago. He now appears to be getting a look on the New York Rangers’ top line.
As per Andrew Gross of NorthJersey.com, Kreider, who had four points in six games with the Hartford Wolf Pack before being recalled to New York, skated on a line with Brad Richards and Derek Stepan at practice.
The Rangers had also recalled forward Brandon Mashinter and goaltender Cam Talbot.
“In talking after the game yesterday with Glen and his staff we just felt we needed to see if Kreids could help us out in our top six spot, which is usually an area where you have more offensive players,” Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said.
“Both those young men bring us size and in Kreids case a lot of speed. We’re hoping they’re going to be able to help us generate a little more offense.”
Kreider, 22, got his first break in the NHL with the Rangers during the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. He had five goals and seven points in 18 games that year.
In 23 regular season games with the Rangers in the 2013 regular season, Kreider scored twice and had three points. He then appeared in eight playoff games, with two points.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)