Oct 22, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
Well, well, well…this just in from Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy ahead of tonight’s game between the Canucks and Islanders.
Booth, a former 31-goal-scorer for the Florida Panthers, has just one goal in 10 games this season. The 28-year-old winger played a mere 10:18 during Sunday’s 3-1 loss in Columbus. He was then apparently skated hard this morning.
If Booth is indeed a healthy scratch, consider it a strong message from Vancouver head coach John Tortorella, who doesn’t exactly have a plethora of spare wingers at his disposal these days. (Alex Burrows is still out with a foot injury.)
Booth, by the way, is signed through next season with a cap hit of $4.25 million.
Update (5:08 p.m. ET)
So Alberts, a defenseman, will either be playing the wing on the fourth line (which seems, well, insane), or the Canucks will rotate seven D.
Update (5:18 p.m. ET)
Torts: "Booth won't dress tonight. Alberts is in and we'll go with seven D."—
Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) October 22, 2013
Seven D it is.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)