Oct 22, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks’ 6-1-2 record seems reasonable enough, but they’re not dominating teams like they did before. Still, head coach Joel Quenneville said “we’re not complaining” to reports such as the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
He might not be complaining, but considering Chicago’s recent struggles with scoring and holding onto leads, is Quenneville worried? It doesn’t seem that way.
“I don’t think we’re playing any different than we did in the first two periods, [it’s] not like we’re sitting on leads,” Quenneville said. “I’m not worried about our offense, because I know it’s there.”
Here’s a quick breakdown of recent games, including Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout win against the Florida Panthers:
Today: Chicago went up 2-0 in the second period, gave up two goals in the third period.
Saturday: run-of-the-mill 3-1 win against Toronto.
Oct. 17: Gave up 1-0 and 2-1 leads against St. Louis, lost 3-2 in a shootout.
Oct. 15: Built 2-0 lead midway through first period vs. Carolina, gave up two third period goals, won 3-2 via a shootout.
Oct. 12: Won 2-1 against Buffalo after going up 2-0.
Oct. 11: Built 2-0 lead, allowed Islanders two goals in the last minute of the first period, eventually won 3-2 after a second period goal.
So … yeah, there’s a trend, although that trend also involves the Blackhawks getting one or two points in every game, aside from Oct. 9’s 3-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
Chicago has room to improvement, yet the Blackhawks are doing just fine. That’s not such a bad way to start a title defense – success mixed with a healthy amount of fear – right?
Unless they’re just getting lucky and will start losing. That wouldn’t be good.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)