Oct 22, 2013, 11:13 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks’ 6-1-2 record seems reasonable enough, but they’re not dominating teams like they did before. Still, head coach Joel Quenneville said “we’re not complaining” to reports such as the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
He might not be complaining, but considering Chicago’s recent struggles with scoring and holding onto leads, is Quenneville worried? It doesn’t seem that way.
“I don’t think we’re playing any different than we did in the first two periods, [it’s] not like we’re sitting on leads,” Quenneville said. “I’m not worried about our offense, because I know it’s there.”
Here’s a quick breakdown of recent games, including Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout win against the Florida Panthers:
Today: Chicago went up 2-0 in the second period, gave up two goals in the third period.
Saturday: run-of-the-mill 3-1 win against Toronto.
Oct. 17: Gave up 1-0 and 2-1 leads against St. Louis, lost 3-2 in a shootout.
Oct. 15: Built 2-0 lead midway through first period vs. Carolina, gave up two third period goals, won 3-2 via a shootout.
Oct. 12: Won 2-1 against Buffalo after going up 2-0.
Oct. 11: Built 2-0 lead, allowed Islanders two goals in the last minute of the first period, eventually won 3-2 after a second period goal.
So … yeah, there’s a trend, although that trend also involves the Blackhawks getting one or two points in every game, aside from Oct. 9’s 3-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
Chicago has room to improvement, yet the Blackhawks are doing just fine. That’s not such a bad way to start a title defense – success mixed with a healthy amount of fear – right?
Unless they’re just getting lucky and will start losing. That wouldn’t be good.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)