Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
More than 10 years after one of the ugliest on-ice incidents in NHL history, Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore are scheduled to meet in court.
Moore’s civil suit against Bertuzzi will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC. It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Moore, a member of the Colorado Avalanche at the time of the incident, never played another NHL game following the Bertuzzi attack.
Moore suffered three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, and is reportedly seeking $38 million in damages.
In February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
Don Maloney’s a busy man.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Couple of potential scenarios being reported.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Veteran blueliner is currently sidelined with a concussion, however.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Fifth-round pick goes to Buffalo.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
“He’s a player we kind of looked at for a while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
They’ll play against Carolina Monday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:24 AM EST
Montreal strikes first on deadline day.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 AM EST
Marleau and Thornton haven’t been approached about their no-trade clauses.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:55 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:15 AM EST
It’s a first round and third round selection heading to Philly.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:50 AM EST
Tampa gets a pair of second-rounders.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EST
Elliott and Allen saw action Sunday night.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Dallas’ skid reaches six games.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
Winnipeg moves three points back of Chicago in the Central Division.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
Malkin had a third straight three-point game.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EST
He collided with Ales Hemsky.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
The Washington forward remains in the game.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The Sharks get a fourth-round pick.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Both teams also swapped draft picks in the deal.
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 28
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)