Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
More than 10 years after one of the ugliest on-ice incidents in NHL history, Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore are scheduled to meet in court.
Moore’s civil suit against Bertuzzi will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC. It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Moore, a member of the Colorado Avalanche at the time of the incident, never played another NHL game following the Bertuzzi attack.
Moore suffered three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, and is reportedly seeking $38 million in damages.
In February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)