Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
More than 10 years after one of the ugliest on-ice incidents in NHL history, Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore are scheduled to meet in court.
Moore’s civil suit against Bertuzzi will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC. It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Moore, a member of the Colorado Avalanche at the time of the incident, never played another NHL game following the Bertuzzi attack.
Moore suffered three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, and is reportedly seeking $38 million in damages.
In February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 32
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10