Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
More than 10 years after one of the ugliest on-ice incidents in NHL history, Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore are scheduled to meet in court.
Moore’s civil suit against Bertuzzi will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC. It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Moore, a member of the Colorado Avalanche at the time of the incident, never played another NHL game following the Bertuzzi attack.
Moore suffered three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, and is reportedly seeking $38 million in damages.
In February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)