Oct 22, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
More than 10 years after one of the ugliest on-ice incidents in NHL history, Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore are scheduled to meet in court.
Moore’s civil suit against Bertuzzi will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC. It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Moore, a member of the Colorado Avalanche at the time of the incident, never played another NHL game following the Bertuzzi attack.
Moore suffered three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, and is reportedly seeking $38 million in damages.
In February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)