Oct 21, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
There was little news on the Keith Ballard front out of Minnesota on Monday, and that wasn’t a good thing.
Ballard, the veteran defenseman that’s missed the last three games after taking a puck to the face, didn’t practice today — this after leaving Sunday’s skate early because he wasn’t feeling well.
“We tried getting him on the ice,” head coach Mike Yeo told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “So let’s just hold him off for a couple of days and see what happens.”
The Wild aren’t saying it, but there are signs suggesting Ballard could have a concussion. The 30-year-old rearguard got hit with the puck during a 2-1 win over Buffalo on Oct. 10, and has basically been out of commission ever since — five days after the incident, Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune reported that Ballard looked “foggy and hurting.”
Minnesota is home against Nashville on Tuesday and will likely be without Ballard for the fourth straight game. Though he hasn’t made a huge impact for the Wild, Ballard was averaging close to 16 minutes per game and had a plus-3 rating through six contests, so his contributions will be missed.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)