Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Turns out, that wasn’t the case. Niemi, the San Jose Sharks goalie, made a brilliant pad save on the Detroit Red Wings forward in the third round of the shootout to give the Sharks a 1-0 victory Monday evening.
Niemi had sprawled out as Bertuzzi, having faked a slap shot, cut across the crease from his off-wing to the left, but lifted his pad to keep the puck out when Bertuzzi tried to go top corner with his shot.
That save was what the Sharks needed to secure the win. Logan Couture scored the lone goal of the skills competition.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 12
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)