Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Turns out, that wasn’t the case. Niemi, the San Jose Sharks goalie, made a brilliant pad save on the Detroit Red Wings forward in the third round of the shootout to give the Sharks a 1-0 victory Monday evening.
Niemi had sprawled out as Bertuzzi, having faked a slap shot, cut across the crease from his off-wing to the left, but lifted his pad to keep the puck out when Bertuzzi tried to go top corner with his shot.
That save was what the Sharks needed to secure the win. Logan Couture scored the lone goal of the skills competition.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)