Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Turns out, that wasn’t the case. Niemi, the San Jose Sharks goalie, made a brilliant pad save on the Detroit Red Wings forward in the third round of the shootout to give the Sharks a 1-0 victory Monday evening.
Niemi had sprawled out as Bertuzzi, having faked a slap shot, cut across the crease from his off-wing to the left, but lifted his pad to keep the puck out when Bertuzzi tried to go top corner with his shot.
That save was what the Sharks needed to secure the win. Logan Couture scored the lone goal of the skills competition.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)