Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Turns out, that wasn’t the case. Niemi, the San Jose Sharks goalie, made a brilliant pad save on the Detroit Red Wings forward in the third round of the shootout to give the Sharks a 1-0 victory Monday evening.
Niemi had sprawled out as Bertuzzi, having faked a slap shot, cut across the crease from his off-wing to the left, but lifted his pad to keep the puck out when Bertuzzi tried to go top corner with his shot.
That save was what the Sharks needed to secure the win. Logan Couture scored the lone goal of the skills competition.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (170)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)