Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
Turns out, that wasn’t the case. Niemi, the San Jose Sharks goalie, made a brilliant pad save on the Detroit Red Wings forward in the third round of the shootout to give the Sharks a 1-0 victory Monday evening.
Niemi had sprawled out as Bertuzzi, having faked a slap shot, cut across the crease from his off-wing to the left, but lifted his pad to keep the puck out when Bertuzzi tried to go top corner with his shot.
That save was what the Sharks needed to secure the win. Logan Couture scored the lone goal of the skills competition.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63