Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
It was one of 34 saves for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Colorado Avalanche goalie, Monday night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But it may have been his best, and most important of the evening. On a two-on-one rush, Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz was given a nifty feed from Sidney Crosby, but couldn’t beat Giguere in close. Colorado’s veteran netminder threw out the glove denying Kunitz on a quality scoring chance in the late stages of the third period.
The save preserved a 1-0 win for the Avalanche. For Giguere, who turned 36 years of age in May, that’s his second shutout already, and he’s had only three games. The Avalanche have won eight of their first nine games, and have only given up 12 goals against.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)