Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
It was one of 34 saves for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Colorado Avalanche goalie, Monday night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But it may have been his best, and most important of the evening. On a two-on-one rush, Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz was given a nifty feed from Sidney Crosby, but couldn’t beat Giguere in close. Colorado’s veteran netminder threw out the glove denying Kunitz on a quality scoring chance in the late stages of the third period.
The save preserved a 1-0 win for the Avalanche. For Giguere, who turned 36 years of age in May, that’s his second shutout already, and he’s had only three games. The Avalanche have won eight of their first nine games, and have only given up 12 goals against.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)