Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT
It was one of 34 saves for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Colorado Avalanche goalie, Monday night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But it may have been his best, and most important of the evening. On a two-on-one rush, Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz was given a nifty feed from Sidney Crosby, but couldn’t beat Giguere in close. Colorado’s veteran netminder threw out the glove denying Kunitz on a quality scoring chance in the late stages of the third period.
The save preserved a 1-0 win for the Avalanche. For Giguere, who turned 36 years of age in May, that’s his second shutout already, and he’s had only three games. The Avalanche have won eight of their first nine games, and have only given up 12 goals against.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)