Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
It was one of 34 saves for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Colorado Avalanche goalie, Monday night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But it may have been his best, and most important of the evening. On a two-on-one rush, Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz was given a nifty feed from Sidney Crosby, but couldn’t beat Giguere in close. Colorado’s veteran netminder threw out the glove denying Kunitz on a quality scoring chance in the late stages of the third period.
The save preserved a 1-0 win for the Avalanche. For Giguere, who turned 36 years of age in May, that’s his second shutout already, and he’s had only three games. The Avalanche have won eight of their first nine games, and have only given up 12 goals against.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)