Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT
It was one of 34 saves for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Colorado Avalanche goalie, Monday night against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
But it may have been his best, and most important of the evening. On a two-on-one rush, Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz was given a nifty feed from Sidney Crosby, but couldn’t beat Giguere in close. Colorado’s veteran netminder threw out the glove denying Kunitz on a quality scoring chance in the late stages of the third period.
The save preserved a 1-0 win for the Avalanche. For Giguere, who turned 36 years of age in May, that’s his second shutout already, and he’s had only three games. The Avalanche have won eight of their first nine games, and have only given up 12 goals against.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 3
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 3
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 10
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 3
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)