Oct 21, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
From TSN’s Darren Dreger:
The Wings need to create some cap space and sources say Jordin Tootoo is in play.
Detroit would like to call up Gustav Nyquist from the AHL, but don’t have the cap room to make it happen.
Tootoo makes $1.9 mill. this season and is valued by some teams because of his grit.
Tootoo is also under contract next season at that $1.9 million cap hit. The 30-year-old may be gritty, but he won’t be the easiest player to move. In four games in 2013-14, he has no points while averaging just 6:32 of ice time per game. He’ll reportedly be in the lineup tonight when the Wings host San Jose.
Oh, and Dreger also reports that Toronto defenseman John-Michael Liles — currently semi-buried in the AHL — is available (obviously) and that the Maple Leafs are willing to “retain a significant portion of Liles’s salary for the remainder of his contract” (which is the interesting part).
Liles’ cap hit is $3.875 million, of which only $925,000 is saved by having him play in the minors. Under the CBA, teams can retain up to 50 percent of a player’s salary and cap hit in a trade. So basically, if the Leafs are really desperate, a team could get Liles through 2015-16 for a cap hit of just under $2 million.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)