Oct 21, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Garbutt delivered the blow during the second period, but went unpenalized. Penner left the game and didn’t return.
“It was tough seeing him groggy getting up,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “You always worry about your players when they’re knocked out, or close to being knocked out, but he seems fine.”
Here’s the hit in question:
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Garbutt’s in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
UPDATE 1:51 a.m. ET
Following the game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure about the lack of a penalty call:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) October 21, 2013
Penner also got into it with a few folks on Twitter as well. Check out his account @Dustinpenner25 to see it all.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 49
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (50)