Oct 21, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Garbutt delivered the blow during the second period, but went unpenalized. Penner left the game and didn’t return.
“It was tough seeing him groggy getting up,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “You always worry about your players when they’re knocked out, or close to being knocked out, but he seems fine.”
Here’s the hit in question:
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Garbutt’s in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
UPDATE 1:51 a.m. ET
Following the game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure about the lack of a penalty call:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) October 21, 2013
Penner also got into it with a few folks on Twitter as well. Check out his account @Dustinpenner25 to see it all.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)