Oct 21, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Garbutt delivered the blow during the second period, but went unpenalized. Penner left the game and didn’t return.
“It was tough seeing him groggy getting up,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “You always worry about your players when they’re knocked out, or close to being knocked out, but he seems fine.”
Here’s the hit in question:
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Garbutt’s in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
UPDATE 1:51 a.m. ET
Following the game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure about the lack of a penalty call:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) October 21, 2013
Penner also got into it with a few folks on Twitter as well. Check out his account @Dustinpenner25 to see it all.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)