Oct 21, 2013, 1:33 AM EST
Garbutt delivered the blow during the second period, but went unpenalized. Penner left the game and didn’t return.
“It was tough seeing him groggy getting up,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “You always worry about your players when they’re knocked out, or close to being knocked out, but he seems fine.”
Here’s the hit in question:
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Garbutt’s in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
UPDATE 1:51 a.m. ET
Following the game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure about the lack of a penalty call:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) October 21, 2013
Penner also got into it with a few folks on Twitter as well. Check out his account @Dustinpenner25 to see it all.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 4
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 47
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (47)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)