Oct 21, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Devan Dubnyk was named the second star of the game Saturday after stopping 35 of 36 Ottawa shots in a 3-1 Oilers victory.
The performance was Dubnyk’s second straight good one; on Thursday, he stopped 37 of 40 in a 3-2 loss to the Islanders.
Dubnyk’s numbers are still pretty ugly (4.20 GAA, .877 SV%), but they’ve improved dramatically with his past two performances. The tall 27-year-old is expected to start again tomorrow versus Montreal.
“It hasn’t been an easy start and it was nice the last two games just to relax and go play hockey and know that I can be ready for these guys,” said Dubnyk, per the Canadian Press.
All players go through tough stretches. The difference is, when goalies do it, it’s really noticeable. Remember that Dubnyk had solid numbers last season, with a .920 save percentage in 37 starts.
Now, the Oilers could still make a move. After all, Dubnyk was hardly a Vezina Trophy favorite heading into the season; his poor start only led to more questions about his ability. But general manager Craig MacTavish would certainly prefer not to deal from a position of desperation if he’s going to bring in a guy to push his starter more than backup Jason LaBarbera has been able to do.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)