Oct 21, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Devan Dubnyk was named the second star of the game Saturday after stopping 35 of 36 Ottawa shots in a 3-1 Oilers victory.
The performance was Dubnyk’s second straight good one; on Thursday, he stopped 37 of 40 in a 3-2 loss to the Islanders.
Dubnyk’s numbers are still pretty ugly (4.20 GAA, .877 SV%), but they’ve improved dramatically with his past two performances. The tall 27-year-old is expected to start again tomorrow versus Montreal.
“It hasn’t been an easy start and it was nice the last two games just to relax and go play hockey and know that I can be ready for these guys,” said Dubnyk, per the Canadian Press.
All players go through tough stretches. The difference is, when goalies do it, it’s really noticeable. Remember that Dubnyk had solid numbers last season, with a .920 save percentage in 37 starts.
Now, the Oilers could still make a move. After all, Dubnyk was hardly a Vezina Trophy favorite heading into the season; his poor start only led to more questions about his ability. But general manager Craig MacTavish would certainly prefer not to deal from a position of desperation if he’s going to bring in a guy to push his starter more than backup Jason LaBarbera has been able to do.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)