Oct 21, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have acquired Mike Brown from the Edmonton Oilers, in exchange for a fourth-round pick in next year’s NHL Draft.
The Sharks announced the trade not long after defeating the Detroit Red Wings 1-0 in the shootout on Monday evening.
“Mike plays a speed game and fits the ‘Fast, Hard and Supportive’ mantra that our team wants to play with,” said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He is a player with tremendous character, knows the Western Conference well and brings a tough, physical ingredient to our line-up.”
Brown, 28, has played in 289 NHL games with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Oilers.
In that span, he’s scored 15 goals and 26 points. So, the Sharks didn’t acquire him for his offensive skills. They got him for his grit. He has accrued 591 penalty minutes over the course of his career.
The Sharks also announced that defenseman Dan Boyle has been placed on injured reserve.
Lapierre was handed a five-game suspension by the NHL for the hit.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 0
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)