Oct 21, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
One of the Sharks’ most productive forwards will miss Monday’s game against the Red Wings with sore gums.
Brent Burns, the defenseman-turned-forward who has eight points in eight games this year, will miss tonight’s tilt after taking a puck to the mouth in Saturday’s 6-3 win over Calgary.
“Brent won’t play tonight. He got hit in the teeth – well, he doesn’t have teeth, I guess in the gums – the other night, and they are bothering him right now,” head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’ll be out tonight, and hopefully he’s ready to go when we get to Boston.”
Burns also took a shot to the grill during a game vs. Ottawa on Oct. 12 — courtesy Robin Lehner‘s goalie stick — so he’ll get a rest tonight in favor of rookie Freddie Hamilton, who was recalled from AHL Worcester this morning.
Gummy Joe’s Burns’ Twitter account)
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)