Oct 21, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
One of the Sharks’ most productive forwards will miss Monday’s game against the Red Wings with sore gums.
Brent Burns, the defenseman-turned-forward who has eight points in eight games this year, will miss tonight’s tilt after taking a puck to the mouth in Saturday’s 6-3 win over Calgary.
“Brent won’t play tonight. He got hit in the teeth – well, he doesn’t have teeth, I guess in the gums – the other night, and they are bothering him right now,” head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’ll be out tonight, and hopefully he’s ready to go when we get to Boston.”
Burns also took a shot to the grill during a game vs. Ottawa on Oct. 12 — courtesy Robin Lehner‘s goalie stick — so he’ll get a rest tonight in favor of rookie Freddie Hamilton, who was recalled from AHL Worcester this morning.
Gummy Joe’s Burns’ Twitter account)
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)