Oct 21, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
One of the Sharks’ most productive forwards will miss Monday’s game against the Red Wings with sore gums.
Brent Burns, the defenseman-turned-forward who has eight points in eight games this year, will miss tonight’s tilt after taking a puck to the mouth in Saturday’s 6-3 win over Calgary.
“Brent won’t play tonight. He got hit in the teeth – well, he doesn’t have teeth, I guess in the gums – the other night, and they are bothering him right now,” head coach Todd McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “He’ll be out tonight, and hopefully he’s ready to go when we get to Boston.”
Burns also took a shot to the grill during a game vs. Ottawa on Oct. 12 — courtesy Robin Lehner‘s goalie stick — so he’ll get a rest tonight in favor of rookie Freddie Hamilton, who was recalled from AHL Worcester this morning.
Gummy Joe’s Burns’ Twitter account)
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)