Oct 21, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Anaheim was without Dustin Penner as it departed for Toronto on Monday morning, as the club announced the burly winger would stay behind in Orange County to undergo concussion tests and further evaluation.
Penner, 31, was briefly knocked out on Sunday night after taking this hit from Dallas forward Jamie Garbutt (who wasn’t penalized on the play):
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Early Monday morning, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Garbutt would have an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety about the hit.
The in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
Following last night’s game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the non-call on Garbutt:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
Anaheim beings its season-long eight-game road trip on Tuesday in Toronto. From there, the Ducks will travel through Montreal, Ottawa, Columbus, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and New York (Rangers).
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)