Oct 21, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Anaheim was without Dustin Penner as it departed for Toronto on Monday morning, as the club announced the burly winger would stay behind in Orange County to undergo concussion tests and further evaluation.
Penner, 31, was briefly knocked out on Sunday night after taking this hit from Dallas forward Jamie Garbutt (who wasn’t penalized on the play):
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Early Monday morning, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Garbutt would have an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety about the hit.
The in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
Following last night’s game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the non-call on Garbutt:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
Anaheim beings its season-long eight-game road trip on Tuesday in Toronto. From there, the Ducks will travel through Montreal, Ottawa, Columbus, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and New York (Rangers).
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)