Oct 21, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Anaheim was without Dustin Penner as it departed for Toronto on Monday morning, as the club announced the burly winger would stay behind in Orange County to undergo concussion tests and further evaluation.
Penner, 31, was briefly knocked out on Sunday night after taking this hit from Dallas forward Jamie Garbutt (who wasn’t penalized on the play):
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Early Monday morning, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Garbutt would have an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety about the hit.
The in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
Following last night’s game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the non-call on Garbutt:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
Anaheim beings its season-long eight-game road trip on Tuesday in Toronto. From there, the Ducks will travel through Montreal, Ottawa, Columbus, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and New York (Rangers).
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)