Oct 21, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Anaheim was without Dustin Penner as it departed for Toronto on Monday morning, as the club announced the burly winger would stay behind in Orange County to undergo concussion tests and further evaluation.
Penner, 31, was briefly knocked out on Sunday night after taking this hit from Dallas forward Jamie Garbutt (who wasn’t penalized on the play):
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Early Monday morning, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Garbutt would have an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety about the hit.
The in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
Following last night’s game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the non-call on Garbutt:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
Anaheim beings its season-long eight-game road trip on Tuesday in Toronto. From there, the Ducks will travel through Montreal, Ottawa, Columbus, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and New York (Rangers).
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54