Oct 21, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Anaheim was without Dustin Penner as it departed for Toronto on Monday morning, as the club announced the burly winger would stay behind in Orange County to undergo concussion tests and further evaluation.
Penner, 31, was briefly knocked out on Sunday night after taking this hit from Dallas forward Jamie Garbutt (who wasn’t penalized on the play):
It capped off an eventual evening for Garbutt, who — in addition to the headshot — also scored his first goal of the season and further drew Anaheim’s ire by kneeing Matthieu Perreault and slashing Ryan Getzlaf (both instances happened prior to the Penner hit, and earned Garbutt minor penalties).
Early Monday morning, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported Garbutt would have an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety about the hit.
The in-person hearing allows for the possibility of NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan to levy a suspension of more than five games but, as McKenzie points out, it doesn’t mean the suspension will automatically be five-plus.
Following last night’s game, Penner took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the non-call on Garbutt:
To whom it may concern…..black&white vertical stripes.Orange horizontal stripe) Might of been 2 min minor?? http://t.co/JKxL0I8PPi
Anaheim beings its season-long eight-game road trip on Tuesday in Toronto. From there, the Ducks will travel through Montreal, Ottawa, Columbus, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and New York (Rangers).
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)