Oct 21, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Pittsburgh Penguins host the Colorado Avalanche at CONSOL Energy Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
If fans in Nova Scotia seem to be a bit more interested in Monday night’s game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Colorado Avalanche, there’s good reason. A pair of Cole Harbour’s favorite sons will face each other for the first time in the NHL.
One you already know all about in Penguins captain Sidney Crosby. He leads the NHL in points, he’s tied with four others for the league lead in goals. He’s an all-world talent and perhaps the best player in the game today. Like you needed to be told all that already.
The other is Avalanche rookie Nathan MacKinnon. As a kid growing up in Cole Harbour, Crosby was his role model and now he’s one of a handful of Avs centers helping lead the team to a surprising 7-1-0 start. His seven points to start the year is strong, tying him for second on the team with P.A. Parenteau.
Of course, Crosby’s Penguins are also 7-1-0 which makes Monday night’s game all the more interesting.
Pittsburgh’s only loss came on the road against Florida with backup Jeff Zatkoff in goal. Colorado’s lone defeat came at home against the veteran Detroit Red Wings, a loss that was overshadowed by Cody McLeod‘s hit on Niklas Kronwall.
Editor’s Note: ProHockeyTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $1,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Monday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the link.
In Colorado, the play of Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly has had coach Patrick Roy gushing over them. It’s been a team effort for the Avalanche, however, as they have nine players with five points or more and play a speed game that puts pressure on opponents to make decisions quickly.
For the Penguins, they might feel like they’re looking in the mirror if the Avalanche offense gets rolling.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)