Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
He was only forced into action because of a hand injury to starter Jimmy Howard; now Red Wings backup Jonas Gustavsson is the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .953 save percentage in Detroit victories over Boston, Columbus and Colorado.
But Gustavsson’s story is the best. The 28-year-old only started four games last season, his first with the Wings after failing to stick with the Maple Leafs.
Gustavsson can become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The man they call The Monster might’ve just made some money with one stretch of three games in four nights.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 2
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)