Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
He was only forced into action because of a hand injury to starter Jimmy Howard; now Red Wings backup Jonas Gustavsson is the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .953 save percentage in Detroit victories over Boston, Columbus and Colorado.
But Gustavsson’s story is the best. The 28-year-old only started four games last season, his first with the Wings after failing to stick with the Maple Leafs.
Gustavsson can become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The man they call The Monster might’ve just made some money with one stretch of three games in four nights.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 23
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79