Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
He was only forced into action because of a hand injury to starter Jimmy Howard; now Red Wings backup Jonas Gustavsson is the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .953 save percentage in Detroit victories over Boston, Columbus and Colorado.
But Gustavsson’s story is the best. The 28-year-old only started four games last season, his first with the Wings after failing to stick with the Maple Leafs.
Gustavsson can become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The man they call The Monster might’ve just made some money with one stretch of three games in four nights.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 3
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)