Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
He was only forced into action because of a hand injury to starter Jimmy Howard; now Red Wings backup Jonas Gustavsson is the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .953 save percentage in Detroit victories over Boston, Columbus and Colorado.
But Gustavsson’s story is the best. The 28-year-old only started four games last season, his first with the Wings after failing to stick with the Maple Leafs.
Gustavsson can become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The man they call The Monster might’ve just made some money with one stretch of three games in four nights.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 26
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)