Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
He was only forced into action because of a hand injury to starter Jimmy Howard; now Red Wings backup Jonas Gustavsson is the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0-0 record with a 1.67 goals-against average and .953 save percentage in Detroit victories over Boston, Columbus and Colorado.
But Gustavsson’s story is the best. The 28-year-old only started four games last season, his first with the Wings after failing to stick with the Maple Leafs.
Gustavsson can become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The man they call The Monster might’ve just made some money with one stretch of three games in four nights.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 0
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 13
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28