Oct 21, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets are really wasting a friendly schedule to start the season. Their latest loss came yesterday, 3-1 to the visiting Predators, dropping their record to 4-5-0 after nine games, seven of which have been at the MTS Centre.
Only Tuesday’s home game against Washington remains before the Jets head out on a four-game trip to Nashville, Dallas, Colorado and St. Louis.
For head coach Claude Noel, the frustration is evident.
“Right now I can’t find the right 12 to play together,” he said today. “Who’s my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th line? I don’t have enough players to sit everybody.”
Whatever the lineup versus the Caps, the Jets need to start the game better than they’ve been doing. In the first and second periods combined, Winnipeg has been outscored 20 to 10. In three of their four victories, they’ve been forced to overcome a deficit.
It’s that sort of inconsistent play — be it period to period or game to game — that was a problem last season. Now it’s a problem again in 2013-14.
“We have said so many times that if we want to win we have to play the whole 60 minutes,” goalie Ondrej Pavelec said. “It’s been the same story all season long.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)