Oct 21, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
Grabner, 26, hit Gerbe in the first period and wasn’t penalized on the play.
“This is not a full bodycheck,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “The head is the main point of contact, and such contact is avoidable.”
Here’s the video:
The relatively light punishment — two games — was partly due to the fact Gerbe wasn’t hurt on the play (he remained in the game following the hit, finishing with an assist and over 18 minutes played).
The league also took into account Grabner’s lack of previous offenses.
Under terms of the CBA, Grabner will forfeit $30,769.24 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. He’ll sit out games against Vancouver on Tuesday and Pittsburgh on Thursday, eligible for return for Saturday’s home date against Philadelphia.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)