Oct 21, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Eight games into the season, and Philadelphia Flyers’ winger Matt Read has been skunked.
No goals. No assists. No points. And this is coming less than a month after the Flyers signed Read to a four-year contract extension worth $14.5 million.
It’s not like the opportunities haven’t been there for the 27-year-old Read, who had 11 goals in 42 games during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
He’s had 10 shots in his last three games, although there hasn’t been any payoff. He 24 shots on net, the most of anyone on the Flyers. And still, nothing.
“You know, I went through something like this in my college days [at Bemidji State],” Read told CSN Philadelphia.
“My coach just said, go to the net, that’s where all the guys are scoring. Go to the net, find rebounds, screen the goalie. You have to find yourself going there more often.
“You don’t really change your game much, just working hard. If you keep working hard, things are going to go your way eventually.”
Add read to the list of snakebit forwards, including some of the ‘star’ variety, who have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, despite plentiful chances.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 13
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)