Oct 21, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Eight games into the season, and Philadelphia Flyers’ winger Matt Read has been skunked.
No goals. No assists. No points. And this is coming less than a month after the Flyers signed Read to a four-year contract extension worth $14.5 million.
It’s not like the opportunities haven’t been there for the 27-year-old Read, who had 11 goals in 42 games during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
He’s had 10 shots in his last three games, although there hasn’t been any payoff. He 24 shots on net, the most of anyone on the Flyers. And still, nothing.
“You know, I went through something like this in my college days [at Bemidji State],” Read told CSN Philadelphia.
“My coach just said, go to the net, that’s where all the guys are scoring. Go to the net, find rebounds, screen the goalie. You have to find yourself going there more often.
“You don’t really change your game much, just working hard. If you keep working hard, things are going to go your way eventually.”
Add read to the list of snakebit forwards, including some of the ‘star’ variety, who have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, despite plentiful chances.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)