Oct 21, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Eight games into the season, and Philadelphia Flyers’ winger Matt Read has been skunked.
No goals. No assists. No points. And this is coming less than a month after the Flyers signed Read to a four-year contract extension worth $14.5 million.
It’s not like the opportunities haven’t been there for the 27-year-old Read, who had 11 goals in 42 games during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
He’s had 10 shots in his last three games, although there hasn’t been any payoff. He 24 shots on net, the most of anyone on the Flyers. And still, nothing.
“You know, I went through something like this in my college days [at Bemidji State],” Read told CSN Philadelphia.
“My coach just said, go to the net, that’s where all the guys are scoring. Go to the net, find rebounds, screen the goalie. You have to find yourself going there more often.
“You don’t really change your game much, just working hard. If you keep working hard, things are going to go your way eventually.”
Add read to the list of snakebit forwards, including some of the ‘star’ variety, who have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, despite plentiful chances.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)