Oct 21, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
Eight games into the season, and Philadelphia Flyers’ winger Matt Read has been skunked.
No goals. No assists. No points. And this is coming less than a month after the Flyers signed Read to a four-year contract extension worth $14.5 million.
It’s not like the opportunities haven’t been there for the 27-year-old Read, who had 11 goals in 42 games during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
He’s had 10 shots in his last three games, although there hasn’t been any payoff. He 24 shots on net, the most of anyone on the Flyers. And still, nothing.
“You know, I went through something like this in my college days [at Bemidji State],” Read told CSN Philadelphia.
“My coach just said, go to the net, that’s where all the guys are scoring. Go to the net, find rebounds, screen the goalie. You have to find yourself going there more often.
“You don’t really change your game much, just working hard. If you keep working hard, things are going to go your way eventually.”
Add read to the list of snakebit forwards, including some of the ‘star’ variety, who have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, despite plentiful chances.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 18
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)