Oct 21, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
Eight games into the season, and Philadelphia Flyers’ winger Matt Read has been skunked.
No goals. No assists. No points. And this is coming less than a month after the Flyers signed Read to a four-year contract extension worth $14.5 million.
It’s not like the opportunities haven’t been there for the 27-year-old Read, who had 11 goals in 42 games during the lockout-shortened 2013 season.
He’s had 10 shots in his last three games, although there hasn’t been any payoff. He 24 shots on net, the most of anyone on the Flyers. And still, nothing.
“You know, I went through something like this in my college days [at Bemidji State],” Read told CSN Philadelphia.
“My coach just said, go to the net, that’s where all the guys are scoring. Go to the net, find rebounds, screen the goalie. You have to find yourself going there more often.
“You don’t really change your game much, just working hard. If you keep working hard, things are going to go your way eventually.”
Add read to the list of snakebit forwards, including some of the ‘star’ variety, who have struggled to find the back of the net early on this season, despite plentiful chances.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 17
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)