Oct 21, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Granted, it’s tough to take a vote of confidence from the Flyers entirely seriously after head coach Peter “Not At All On the Hot Seat” Laviolette was fired three games into the season, but for what it’s worth, Peter Luukko (president of the team’s parent company, Comcast-Spectacor) tells the Philadelphia Inquirer that general manager Paul Holmgren’s job is safe:
From the article:
Though obviously not satisfied with the early-season results, Luukko said that Holmgren’s job is not in jeopardy, that the team just needs time to adjust to new coach Craig Berube’s system.
Luukko was not alarmed by the results of a recent philly.com poll. Heading into the weekend, more than 4,400 people had responded when asked if Holmgren should be replaced.
Almost 93 percent said yes.
“When things aren’t going well, the timing of the poll is what directly relates to the answers,” Luukko said the other day. “To us, it doesn’t mean anything.”
The Flyers (1-7-0) are in the midst of a week-long break; their next game is Thursday versus the similarly struggling Rangers.
If the Flyers don’t turn it around soon, expect the Holmgren speculation to continue. Not saying it’s a foregone conclusion that he’ll be gone, but it should be noted that firing a GM is a tough thing to time. Does the team do it before the trade deadline so the new guy can start putting his stamp on the roster right away? Or, is it better to wait until the offseason when there are typically more candidates available to interview?
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)