Oct 21, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Granted, it’s tough to take a vote of confidence from the Flyers entirely seriously after head coach Peter “Not At All On the Hot Seat” Laviolette was fired three games into the season, but for what it’s worth, Peter Luukko (president of the team’s parent company, Comcast-Spectacor) tells the Philadelphia Inquirer that general manager Paul Holmgren’s job is safe:
From the article:
Though obviously not satisfied with the early-season results, Luukko said that Holmgren’s job is not in jeopardy, that the team just needs time to adjust to new coach Craig Berube’s system.
Luukko was not alarmed by the results of a recent philly.com poll. Heading into the weekend, more than 4,400 people had responded when asked if Holmgren should be replaced.
Almost 93 percent said yes.
“When things aren’t going well, the timing of the poll is what directly relates to the answers,” Luukko said the other day. “To us, it doesn’t mean anything.”
The Flyers (1-7-0) are in the midst of a week-long break; their next game is Thursday versus the similarly struggling Rangers.
If the Flyers don’t turn it around soon, expect the Holmgren speculation to continue. Not saying it’s a foregone conclusion that he’ll be gone, but it should be noted that firing a GM is a tough thing to time. Does the team do it before the trade deadline so the new guy can start putting his stamp on the roster right away? Or, is it better to wait until the offseason when there are typically more candidates available to interview?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)